1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Nice hog there bet it tasted good

·
Registered
803 Posts
My understanding is there are a number of them in the Gloucester County area. At one time the Deptford area was a major pig farming location leading to a number of escaped hogs that continue to multiply to this day.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
My understanding is there are a number of them in the Gloucester County area. At one time the Deptford area was a major pig farming location leading to a number of escaped hogs that continue to multiply to this day.
As far as I know, the feral pig population has since been decimated after several years of legal hunting that started a few years ago. I know I've not seen them or signs of them (and they are supposedly in and around areas I've hunted).

Here's a news article if you are interested - this is from 5 years ago: Hunters shrink New Jersey's wild boar population | NJ.com

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
How do the wild ones taste roasted compare to domestic ??
Pigs are what they eat. A grain fed pig is best. If you get one that's lived in the wild it's entire life that's what it will taste like. JGripp shot a half breed last year in Pa. It was fed grain from a feeder on the property but also ate in the woods. Best dang Porckchops I ever had.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I've heard there are some in White Oak Branch WMA but I'm not familiar with the area.
I heard ever since they ripped up White Oaks Golf Course pretty good several years back, they got hunted down severely. I don't think the golf course has had any problems in a while since then. I think those hogs that were in White Oaks WMA were either killed off or they moved off to less pressured areas. Moral of the story? Don't piss off golfers :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts