New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to see if any of you folks have had similar issues or solutions. I have a hanging feeder with a broadcaster that goes off at sunrise and 1/2 hr to sunset. It hangs about 7 feet off the ground and about 2 feet away from the post it hangs from. This weekend I took an old above ground pool wall and formed it around the post from about 5 feet to the top of the post where the arm extends. I did this because red squirels and chipmunks got on to the broadcaster and chewed the cone coming from the bucket so all the feed fell out. I refabricated that out of metal flashing so now they can't chew it. I got home and got a call that the little basta... some how got to sit on the broadcaster again and are causing more feed to come out. Just curious what other folks have done to solve the critters issue?

I am thinking of riveting a shield around 1/2 the bucket to drop below the broadcaster. Obviously the spread pattern will be diminished but it may sound like a dinner bell! Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
What about threading the hanger wire or rope threw a metal shild , something that looks like an umbrella or funnel. This way when they climb down the rope they'll slide off, as long as it protruders past the feeder enough so they can.t get a grab.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
i would sink some 3.5" deck screws through the bottom of the bucket in a circle about every inch around the propeller. that oughta keep them out of reach to the funnel.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
put molases mixed with really hot Hot Sauce and rub it a around the funnel or anywhere they put there front feet. They step in it and then lick it off....Whoooooooooo Thats hot man.... [mad] They leave fast heading for water...:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts