New Jersey Hunters banner

Feeder question

1K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  10pointbuck 
#1 ·
I have been thinking of getting a feeder for deer hunting, currently I put out a few pounds when I go out but sometimes its a week or more before I can get back. So to keep the deer coming during these off times I would like to set up a feeder.

I normally hunt a private property onto of a hill so rocky and uneven terrain, there is also a lone bear that wonders the area from time to time.

I was looking at a tripod feeder but after liking at it, all I can see is it falling over and breaking.
Then I was thinking one of those 5gal ones but I don't know how i will get it into a tree.

Any suggestions?

#3 ·
I did that but the deer would eat through it in 2 days. Waist of corn. I was looking at the feeders so I can put out maybe 2 pounds a day then i wont burn through it that fast.

I guess maybe a hanging feeder would be the best, just in case a bear did come through (its very seldom that he is around). any ideas on how to hang it?

#10 ·

#15 ·
Im not as worried about people messing with it as I am this bear, he has done some damage to chicken coops, bee hives and also bird feeders. When he comes through you know he was their.

I watched him take out a bird feeder I had set up on a solid 2" steel pole 10' up.
He stood up and bent the pole right over. Estimated 700lb, and easy 8' standing.
Nothing really stops him, even went through a electric fence I put around the bee hives.

So cheaper the better. I think I might try the cheap hanging feeder. Because if i do a gravity feeder one I will go through corn 10x faster, and two if he comes through I don't think I will have any corn left. [ko].

Now I just wish he came around during bear season

#18 ·
use a fishing wieght and some some heavy test line . whip the sinker over the limb you want then pull some thin black coated aircraft up over the limb tie it to the feeder pull it up tie it off to a tree step near the ground and cover the excess cable with leaves. attach some brush to the feeder will make it less noticable along with the thin black cable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.