New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this will likely start some controversially comments, but I have a Cabela's EZ feeder. I had the varmint cage on it 2 years ago, but took it off last year due to the noise created by the feed ricocheting off the cage. Last year I ran it but there was still a fair amount of noise created from the corn either hitting the legs of the feeder or from it dropping on the spinner plate. If there is no feed inside the feeder it is silent. So my question is the noise truly a major ordeal or should I try to quiet it down by covering the legs with pipe insulation where the corn hits & apply a thin coat of silicone to the spinner plate?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Plenty of people will tell you that the sound of a feeder going off is like a dinner bell..But I guess that's only in spots where they feed all year long. I ran a feeder one year only and felt that the noise created by it actually did more harm ...I had far less deer activity at the bait site than I did when I would just spread a bag out every 4 days...Even had deer on the bait in the mornings before the feeder would go off and they'd run like heck at the first sound, and not come back for days. So I would say YES the noise is an issue, and you should do what you can to minimize it if you want to continue using a feeder.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Hunted with feeder years ago. Got to stand around 3pm feeder programmed to go off at 3:30pm. Deer on way in at 4pm. Shots fired by 4:05pm. It was like clock work but this was also property with a large number of deer so they would fight and race each other to the feeder. It was fun to watch the does come quickly walking in. And we only shot does on this property.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Years ago, one of my friend's had a feeder out and the deer got used to the noise. But, one thing that he noticed was, that only does would show up and no mature buck would eat the feed.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
It's really no different than the sound made by dumping a bucket full of corn on the ground. I have found it best to not over hunt the bait. It doesn't take long for them to figure it out if you do.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I had a buck tear the feeder from the tree and empty the corn from it. I shot him two weeks ago and he rough scored 138. It depends on the deer. I have one feeder programmed for 4:30 and the deer are there at 4:32.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
When my feeder goes off it makes a racket. Scares the hell out of me every time it goes off and Im hunting near it. Like others stated. If it goes off at 4 p.m. the deer are there at 4:01 p.m. But, like Tarhunt said. All I get is doe's at the feeder. Never seen a shooter buck at the feeder. The feeder has been up for over 4 years also. Found the best spot for bucks is 50 yards or more down wind of the feeder. They come in scent checking the doe's when they are there.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
I put the type of feeder that was freestanding up on a farm in Maryland in a spot that was baited all year. This was July & they still went no where near it in November. Not even at night. The 3lbs a day had corn ankle deep rotting.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Could you hang the feeder from a cable spanning two trees? This would eliminate the sound of the feed hitting the legs of the feeder.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I have a feeder set up behind my buddies house,the spinner stopped working when something knocked it down and the deer come up and lick the corn off the spinner now but wouldn't go by it when it was working.I have does and mature bucks coming to it and last time it ran out of corn they knocked it over looking for more so now it is basically a gravity feeder.I don't hunt over it because the one time I did I had a big buck walk in and look right up at me in the tree,now when I hunt that spot I stay about 50 yards away and I allways see deer look up before they walk into it.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
I have a feeder set up behind my buddies house,the spinner stopped working when something knocked it down and the deer come up and lick the corn off the spinner now but wouldn't go by it when it was working.I have does and mature bucks coming to it and last time it ran out of corn they knocked it over looking for more so now it is basically a gravity feeder.I don't hunt over it because the one time I did I had a big buck walk in and look right up at me in the tree,now when I hunt that spot I stay about 50 yards away and I allways see deer look up before they walk into it.
One of my batteries died and the cam picks showed the deer spinning it with their tongue to get the corn. I never replaced the battery and just keep it full. Works much like "the nudge" feeder now.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I have been playing with feeders for years since I started hunting. I set one up in the field behind my house and would watch them during the summers. First thing is, do not get the dusk and dawn one, if the deer are under it and it goes off, I don't care who tells you different, unless they are hand fed deer, they will take off like a bat out of hell and a mature buck most likely won't come back or only at night. Second thing is, don't get a tripod or bucket feeder, I've watched countless bucks and does under it feeding and suddenly look up, back up and be alert. For some reason they do not like it. I took 10" PVC about 5' long, cut a round piece of plywood just smaller to fit inside and screwed it on the bottom with a hole cut in the middle and attached the spinner. I made a bracket to hang it on a tree so the spinner is about 6' off the ground. You take it off the bracket to fill. It sits against the tree and since its only 10" wide and not 24" or how ever big a bucket is, it looks like a tree trunk and blends right in. Deer rarely look up anymore. I set my feeder to go off at 2pm. I do not want it going off at night or morning and evening or anytime deer are around to get spooked. That being said, I hunted 200yds from someone's dusk feeder and had it go off while I had does under me. I could hear it no problem, the deer looked in that direction for a few secs but went back to grazing on acorns. Again, I have been tinkering with feeders in my backyard since I was 16 and literally had nothing better to do than to build them and watch deer in the binos all summer.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
THanks for sharing your observations and advice. I'm planing on starting up my in 2 weeks and am looking make my adjustment before its filled versus afterwards

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I see the deer vcome in fast right after the feeder goes off, but if they are near the feeder when it goes off it startles them. They do come back shortly after being startled though. So the answer to your question is the noise does no harm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.