New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you folks may have seen this on another site as a number of us seem to circulate between a few of them. I'd appreciate any feedback my fellow NJ Hunters can offer. Be kind I was born and raised there. Don't hold NH against me as I live here by work and not choice!!(LOL)

Ok folks here is the scenario. I recently (2 weeks ago) cleared some underbrush in a 20 yd wide by 30 yd long area. at one end of the lengthwise area there is at least one if not two well defined runs that are in a secluded field. On one side there is some hemlocks and spruce. There were deer droppings all over the area varying from less than 24 hrs old to some that had been around for several months. Also there was some fresh bear droppings. We set the feeder up at the opposite end near some wild apple trees. So roughly 30 yds from the trails. We did this so the folks and their grandkids can see the animals from the deck of the camp which is about 50 yds from the feeder up a slight incline. We used a moultrie feeder with a six second spin cycle that feeds at dawn and a half hour before dusk. It will drop roughly a pound each time. The father-in-law arrived up there tonight after being away for 10 days and said there is hardly any cracked corn on the ground and only 2 pictures snapped on the camera(Film so not sure what they are of). There is nobody around up there during the week and last time up 2 weeks ago there were a few deer in the field across the street. The neighbor has even come home to a bear in her garage. NH has a smaller heard with larger bodied deer. When talking to the guy at the feed store he said the area of our camp has more deer per sq mile than the rest of the county. My questions are as follows

How long before deer typically figure out there is a feeder in the area? ( I realize I am competing with mother natures greenery right now)

Is there anything I can do to entice them? ( Molases mixed into a pound or two of corn dropped under the feeder) Feeder is currently about 5 feet from the ground and we will be raising it another 2 feet this weekend in case bears come in to it. It threw feed about 8 feet last time I was up.

zThe area is pretty well surrounded by trees etc.. out of sight from the road so they are not disturbed. Do you think the virtual clearcut we did will take them some time to get reestablished near? It wasn't a bedding area it was basically underbrush but the only area we could utilize to clear and put up a ladder stand. That is going up Saturday.

The cam we hung is one of the 35mm $59.00 Cabela jobs. We have it set about 4.5 feet off the ground and about 8 feet away from the feeder. Unobstructed view to the feeder. Is this good enough for distance height etc..? Plan to go digital or make my own if we get enough activity.

Sorry for the length of the post but trying to figure things out. It is our first experience feeding and snapping pics. I usually hunt NJ and WV and only hunt in NH because I live here. The overall deer pop and sightings are slim compared to other areas I hunt but they are big when you see/get them. I am really trying to keep the kids interested and the father-in-law busy. Of course some pics and a steak or two in the freezer would be a bonus.
Thanks for your anticipated feedback.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Ive used the 35 mm 59 dollar cameras, put it closer to the ground and the pile. The sensors aren't as good on the 35 mm as the digitals for some reason. I set my $59 camera as it states in the instructions at about 4 and half feet high and about 15-20feet away and no pictures for a few weeks, then i moved it down to about 3 and a half feet, and put it only like 10 feet away and it works great. The cheap 35 mm are a pain in the [no swearing please] to set up, and the film can jam in them sometimes, but where i hunt ive had a few of them stolen so id rather have the cheap ones stolen than the 350 digital cams.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so far. I know what you mean about the film. Last year the first year he set it up without a feeder he had to have the film removed in a dark room as it wound to tight and would not rewind. We did not have the feeder up then. The pics are really a bonus as we will be going digital after property taxes are paid in July. Momma has me on a budget until then! I will try dropping it a foot or so this weekend. My main concern is how to entice them in so they get used to the feeder being there. I think I will put 2 or 3 lbs of cracked corn on the ground under the feeder mixed with molasses when i get there Fri night. Keep the suggestions coming.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drag- I am not sure if I have the patience. I may make one over the winter. Archery Experts has the Moultrie Digital Spy in Black for $129 everday price. Thats about 40 bucks cheaper than Cabelas and Moultrie have it for on their sites.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah Drag. Thats why I am thinking of getting it over making one. I just got their catalog a week ago and stumbled across the camera. You can checkout their website. as well archeryexperts.com

The camo one is 149 but they offer the same camera with a black case in their catalog for 129

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
I put some feed out last saturday and come tuesday 40 of the 50 pounds was gone. I put another bag out tuesday and tomorrowill throw another out and check the cam:D

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well we were up North this weekend. about 1/2 to 2/3of the feed was gone from the feeder. We raised it another 2 feet and left some feed on the ground as well as adjusted the feed rate. Previously we had it on a 6 second spin now it is on an 8 sec so it should drop a pound to a pound and a quarter of cracked corn at each feeding. I did study the spray pattern and it does throw it a good distance, therefore dispersing it thin if you get what I mean. I was thinking of placing some kind of wrap on it to concentrate more feed in a narrower area. We had 1 additional picture. I lowered the camera to about 3.5 feet from the ground. I did notice some chipmunks and red squirrels that looked rather plump in the area of the feeder!!! We also added a lick at the base of the feeder post. We will see what happens. We also broadcast some buck forage oats and clover over the spot we cleared 2 weeks ago. We will be lucky if we see a 50% germination rate as until we stump the area there is no way to effectivly till it.

We did see a doe and fawn near the road about 1/4 mile away and a good size doe about 200 yds from the feeder so they are in the area. I think right now between them being with their fawns and the all you can eat buffet of greenery out there it may take more enticing than usual. I won't be heading back until the first weekend in July so I'll have to rely on the Father-in-laws report in a week to 10 days. I was thinking of some doe pee in the area and some stump lick on the stumps left from our cutting a few weeks ago.

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
Listen... 3.5 feet of the ground isnt helping your picture situaion. 24" and youll get alot more pics. I GUARANTEE it. I tried mine at 40" ike reccmended. I was geeting heads and ears or nothing.

24" just barely cutsoff the deer at the "knee" Just about perfectly centered.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts