New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Yea wasn't it the Miami massacre or something the reason they left the. 9s? The bigger rounds are prob too much for people who don't take the time to practice and familiarize themselves w a real gun. If they knew they were getting in a shoot out today what would they bring? Hopefully a long gun but the 9 isn't doing what a 45 can. Except carry more rounds.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
i dont think its been confirmed that they are switching yet. bullets have come a long way since the miami incident. i shoot a 40 for work and dont think the recoil is all that crazy but then again i not a woman lol .

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Good article, I read it the other day on a handloading forum, lots of good science. Shooting a 45 at the range and in a dark hallway is a world of difference, pop a 45 in that type of situation and your hearing and sight are compromised big time which could make a big difference in a close quarters gun battle.

·
Registered
10,374 Posts
it all depends on the weight of the gun and how it handles... try loading up a .357 magnum in a S&W airweight and tell me how it recoils. Then shoot the same thing out of a 8" S&W 686... different experience.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
i dont think its been confirmed that they are switching yet. bullets have come a long way since the miami incident. i shoot a 40 for work and dont think the recoil is all that crazy but then again i not a woman lol .
I agree w the person shooting the gun, felt recoil may be more or less bothersome. 40s though on some guns kick more than 45s or seem to. Idk I like to hunt w small stuff so I don't destroy meat unnecessarily and to be more sporting but guns and bikes should be big, loud and obnoxious. I typically shoot big wheel guns, 44 and up. Doesn't mean anything cept to me semis seem tame. Look at the powder charge in even a 45, it's a light load. But you do have to hit what you're aiming at. A 9 is just not my caliber

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Good article, I read it the other day on a handloading forum, lots of good science. Shooting a 45 at the range and in a dark hallway is a world of difference, pop a 45 in that type of situation and your hearing and sight are compromised big time which could make a big difference in a close quarters gun battle.
That's a good point

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
On average, the decibels of a 9mm are higher than that of a .45 and most handgun calibers are in the 155 decibel range. The numbers increase when shooting magnum calibers.
.25 ACP 155.0 dB
.32 LONG 152.4 dB
.32 ACP 153.5 dB
.380 157.7 dB
9mm 159.8 dB
.38 S&W 153.5 dB
.38 Spl 156.3 dB
.357 Magnum 164.3 dB
.41 Magnum 163.2 dB
.44 Spl 155.9 dB
.45 ACP 157.0 dB
.45 COLT 154.7 dB

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Couldn't agree more. Both rifle and pistol bullets of today are heads and shoulders better than at the time of the Miami Shootout (almost 30 years ago).
Of the big 3 defensive handgun calibers, I don't think any one is vastly superior to any of the others.
Once again, shot placement trumps all else.
That's true n it's not really a carry option but you'll prob get someone attention more hitting them slightly less than perfect w a 44 than a. 9. I'm sure they weighed it out though

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
With todays ammo i'll take a high capacity 9 over a single stack 45 any day. as already said....shot placement is #1.
I hear ya than you're a wheel gun fan? Ain't a auto in the world can hold a candle to a good revolver if shot placement matters. Hmmm I hear ya though pros n cons to it all

·
Registered
713 Posts
It takes a lot to get the 9mm brought back in as far as requalifications,issuing new guns, ordering new ammo,on a national scale,turning in old guns. From what I see from a large city's range with multi agency training.the advantage of increased magazine capacity,and higher standards for qualifying make this a sound choice. The performance on gel blocks with the improved ammo can match the S&W .40 .
I have carried A Browning Hi Power,9mm,Colt Comander .45, went to a Sig 220.(45),then to S&W m/p .40,I should have stoped with the Colt ...

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Thats going to be a tough one to pull off given the amount of funding already put into obtaining .40 cal ammunition, guns, parts etc. Thats going to be a huge undertaking to completely change everything out agency wide. I dont see it happening.

Reactions: briar

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
I am a wheel gun fan also. If I could carry my .460 S&W i could scare most people to death. capacity is not as big a deal when you can shoot thru the car and the target.
On a serious note I would not give up my Glock .40 for a 9mm
I carry a compact glock when in the free world where I can carry legaly

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Bob, down here I keep my Smith 4506 in my truck and wear a sig 9.Most times in my area don't even bother to carry, everyone carries, even the politicians who are pushing for open carry.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts