New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on stand last night and observed at least 4 different fawns on their own with no momma around. The property I was hunting is unpressured private land so the odds that all four were orphaned by a successful bow hunter on neighboring property are slim to none and slim left town. That just tells me that the does who had fawns this spring are starting to give the fawns the boot in anticipation of breeding competition. Seems like signs are promising for an early rut this year...

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Wishful thinking at best. Does will not kick doe fawns away and won't kick buck fawns away for awhile. Either successful bowhunters, cars or you just didn't see the fawnss

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Last night I saw nothing but solo button bucks, i was also thinking they must have gotten the boot. Thank goodness my rangefinder is 4x, i use it as a monocular as well as a rangefinder. I was ready to pull the trigger on what I thought was a doe but upon further examination thru the rangefinder it was indeed a button so i let it walk. They are growing fast and are close to average doe size. Look twice!

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Fawns are like pre teen/teenagers right now they want to get out on their own and explore (especially buttons) it happens every year around this time and isn't the doe running them off, its their natural desire to do stuff on their own. Once does start to come into heat they do stay away from the fawns more but this early I think you are seeing the fawns wandering off on their own more than getting run off by momma.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've seen a lot more older Does come around solo- Doe fawns have tripled in size over the last week or so it seems, their color has changed so much, and just like that- one had just lost her spots- like they just fell off her... Lol (that was neat to see since I have never really experienced watching them grow like this). If it wasn't for her constant whine n cry STILL that she does the second her mama is chased away by a young buck- I would have thought it was a different doe-fawn. I see them still with their mamas. My doe fawns are always the first to run in & mama hangs back more slowly to approach... I would think it would be the otherway around- you know parent taking one for the protection of their kid! But maybe they are different and stand back & say-well of they don't get whacked then I guess the coast is clear! :/
lol
Again just new to whittnessing this growing season better....pretty neat...) last year I was too hung up on my target bucks to pay much attention to watching them to learn.
So if they are solo Im tossing it up to;
Doe vs. Car
Doe vs. Hunter ...or
Doe vs. Predator!

I have tho noticed my buttons hanging with the spikes or Bachelor Group... This Im guessing is the same reasoning/theory??
mama disappeared so they found buddy's? Not sure about that yet- sure someone here knows that answer.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Fawns are like pre teen/teenagers right now they want to get out on their own and explore (especially buttons) it happens every year around this time and isn't the doe running them off, its their natural desire to do stuff on their own. Once does start to come into heat they do stay away from the fawns more but this early I think you are seeing the fawns wandering off on their own more than getting run off by momma.
Well there Ya go- as I was rambling my novel like a typical Gal- my answer was posted ... Lol
Will I ever talk less and listen more [eyeroll]. ... Probably Naw! Lol
thanks Beverman

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
One year I watched a spike buck kick the snot out of a BB, left the poor little guy limping, he then chased it around the woods for a bit, I felt bad for the little guy! I was gonna shoot the spike if I got a shot but it never happend, was about this time of year, and the racket they made sounded like buffalo running around!!

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I have been seeing fawns alone for a few weeks now.had 4 roadkill small bucks last week in a 1 1/2 mile in z 14

·
Registered
713 Posts
When I was out friday morning I had two fawns with their doe and they weren't but a few feet behind her every step. And a huge difference in color too. The Mom was almost a chocolate brown and the fawns were a tan color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I had two fawns nursing on a doe fifteen yards from me Saturday evening. After a short time two much larger fawns came in without a doe, but they may have been orphaned since I have killed two does and a friend has killed two does in the same area.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts