New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw my first fawn of 09 in my back woods in Sparta must have just dropped it was barely able to stand and very small. My daughter was thrilled when i showed it to her through the binoculars. I guess in a few weeks I should be ready for some scouting and stand placements wooo hooo !!!!

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
I talked to a guest at my neighbors bbq the other day. His friend found a fawn all alone and took it[wallmad][wallmad]. I tried to explain that the mom will often leave the fawn alone and return to nurse it as needed. He said "No, we waited for a while, but she never showed up!"[wallmad][wallmad] People are clueless! Please, leave them be!!!!

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
I have trails cam pics of a fawn walking around fine three weeks ago...By now many of them have been born...

Remember 200 days ago from today is November 7th. That is well into the heart of the breeding season. That means on average any doe bred in the early part of the rut will have dropped their fawns already. Any deer that were not breed until later in the rut or in Dec, will be the only ones that have not had their fawns yet.

JC

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
JC, you make a good point. Even though summer and winter ranges differ some in areas and more in others. Most years a doe will come into estrous around the same days each year. Keeping a tab of when fawns drop is not scentific but gives you an idea when a doe or does could come into estrous in your area coming years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.