New Jersey Hunters banner

FATHER AND SON SUCESSFULL IN NY

751 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  JerseyJim 
#1 ·
This is a dream hunting season for me.Last week after 25yrs I finally harvested my first bow kill.Now my goal was to get pops a deer.We headed up to NY state thursday night 11/17 so I could get his stand set up,and also get my climber set up on the other side of the ridge were I have been seeing alot of buck activity.Friday morning,I got in and out of the woods early accomplishing what I set to do,so now I was able to relax for the opening day hunt.Opening day morning I put pop in his stand,around 5:15am and proceeded to start my hunt.I got into my stand around 6:00am a little later than I expected.Around 6:45am I heard crashing behind me me, it was a doe.She kept looking back,and I could here another deer walking from were she came out of.She [no swearing please] footed across the ridge very cautiosly with her tail up to the sky.The other deer never showed himself.At 7:15am from my right I caught movement.It was a buck,as nice 6pt coming across the rigde.He got about 30yrds broadside from me,I grunted,he stopped,I put the crosshairs behind his shoulder and squezzed the trigger.He went about 80yrds and crashed.The 20g mosseberg 500 slugger shooting lightfields 2 3/4 inch did its job.
The next morning,I put pop in the same tree with my climber.What a job getting him up the tree that was.It was like a comedy show at 5:30am.I* sat on the ground right below him so I could watch if he shot anything.Well I wish I had the video camera.At first light we had deer all around us.I knew there were alot of scrapes around us,so figured that there was just more bucks then the 6ptr I shot in this area.Well, at 8am we spotted a 8pt checking his scrapes.He went up the ridge then down the ridge,and the was coming right at us.He got to 40yrds from us,head on and I told dad dont wait.I did not want the buck to wind me because I was on the ground.So dad for once in his life listened to me and put the crosshairs behind his neck and squezzed the trigger.Boom!All I seen was the buck crumble.I was so excited.Dad got me my first deer, now I returned the favor.What a year I am having.Will post the pictures when I get them developed.What a feeling when a plan comes together the way you exspect it.I wish BHC was there to share this with us.Well I guess he was in a way.Since I let dad use my 20guage,I wanted to fine toon the 12guage a little better,so I borrowed BHC 20guage knowing it was on, because I sighted it in.BHC if you want anything else baptised just let me know.LOL:pJust kidding buddy,You know I love you.

See less See more
G
#3 ·
wish I was there not only for the hunt, but to see BIG DICK trying in ernest to climb the tree, you know I would be laughing so loud every deer up there would run back to NJ. But with that said, congrats to you both[up]:p:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.