New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy said something about a farmer off Colliers Mills Road and Route 539 has a degredation permit and killed over 200 deer this past summer/fall.

Anyone know any truth to that?

Interestingly driving home from the woods tonight, there were about 30-40 turkey buzzards circling the section he said the guy kills them on.

It would also explain why the deer numbers in the Mill are very low despite not many deer being killed there every year. For years my father and I looked at the regs and season kills in Zone 18 and always considered them low. Could it be degredation permits of the farmers keeping it that low?

You'd think with such low kills the deer would just flourish, but I haven't seen that to be the case. There are deer in there, but not a TON and not many are harvested yet the deer numbers seem pretty stable.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
hey bowhunter where will you be in the am ? i'll be off the power lines by central jersey gun range i scouted a little of vetrans this am nothing looked real good but we did see two other guys getting ready and lots of turkey tracks good luck

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
happens all the time, instead of a farmer giving hunters permission to hunt,they just get a damage permit and kill everything they see...

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
njhunter, I'll be in the main park past the pheasant fields and to the right after you reach the T.

Snow tomorrow night, saying 2-4" now. That somewhat sucks, I hate snow in the Mill and hate leaving my print to my stands. Have had guys follow my tracks in and then start hunting my spots. Bleh.

Good luck and shoot straight! ;)

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
There could be low numbers in Colliers because it seems to be more pines that hardwoods. As a result, there might be less food for the deer to eat. Of course, I've only been there once so what do I know. But, my impression of it was:
1) Sandy
2) Lots of pine trees

David

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
very true but if you look around some you'll find the oaks and other misc. food that they eat

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I believe it as well...In PA they have deer crop damage farms, that are open to hunt for the public. There is no limit on the deer you can take, and if no one hunts it, then the farmers will kill the deer and let them lay most of the time. I used to hunt deer crop damage property when I was younger, but now everyone hunts it and it is just as bad as state game lands

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
bruce springsteens property has permit - and they have killed over 100 deer each of the last two years - and you can still cont 30 deer in there, and the few state troopers that hunt usually see big bucks - 500 acres in the heart of colts neck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.