New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Family Wants N.J. To Remove Dead Bear From Back Yard

http://www.wnbc.com/news/4285375/detail.html

FRANKLIN LAKES, N.J. -- It's been nearly a week since a Franklin Lakes family discovered the carc [no swearing please] of a bear in their back yard.

The Schmidt family called the Fish and Wildlife Division to remove the remains. But so far, the family is still waiting.

Environmental Protection spokeswoman Elaine Makatura said wildlife officials are busy tagging hibernating bears. She said they hope to get to the carc [no swearing please] sometime Tuesday.

Kate Schmidt said the bruin might have been the victim of foul play. She said there's a hole about the size of a half dollar in the animal's abdomen.

B

·
0 Posts
The NJFG&W should of been there within hours of this family calling, to start the investigation into the death of this bear. To say that wildlife officials are busy tagging other bears, or there isn't any money is BS. They are a state agency that works for the people. "SIR CZAR CAMPBELL" should be there helping.

B

·
0 Posts
that picture is dark, I would guessamate as little as 275lbs, as big as 350lbs. from what I saw in the newspaper

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
BHC,

The Division (funded with our license, not taxpayer monies) is in desperate times. They don's have the money or resources to do bear control (certainly not bear funerals). Expect HUGE changes (cuts) in NJF&W shortly. People and programs will be cut deep. Under Campbell's watch YOUR LICENSE MONEY has been ILLEGALLY diverted.

If people expect biologists to run around the state for animal control then monies from the general fund should be used for this.

B

·
0 Posts
So far I heard of 2 things with bears and its only March. With no bear hunt last year, the bear population will explode this year, bite "SIR CZAR CAMPBELL" in the ass. We the hunters will be saying "I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!"

B

·
0 Posts
I understand what your saying, but I too work for the state, and there is always money there for all agencies, no matter what.

B

·
0 Posts
Don't be surprised if they ever find out that it was gun shot that killed this bear, that one of those rich snob yuppies shot it when he/she saw it in there $2 million dollar yard

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
If all they want is to transport the bear to a NJDFW office, they could just have volunteers do it.

Hell I have a big truck, Id be willing to go with a few other guys to load that bruin up and truck him somewhere.....

I wont even charge them for the gas...:D

Im not kidding, Id be willing.

Heck I volunteered to run mowers for them to trim some of the overgrown WMA's, but they said they cant let volunteers run machinery.

Anyone think thats a possibility....than again, I guess it will be gone by tomorrow.....

Next time, they should just ask for volunteers!:)

·
3,413 Posts
Why can't the local Animal Control Officer handle this? They handle deer and other wildlife, why not bears?

·
11,226 Posts
Looks like a good size bear... I bet someone did shoot it! What else would make a 1/2 dollar size hole in it's belly? You watch, the anti's will say a "hunter" killed it instead of a poacher! Once you are breaking the law you are no longer a hunter. Your a piece of crap poacher!
The true character of a person is shown by what they do when nobody is looking!
I can't tell you how many times that saying went through my head growing up when I had a choice to make between right and wrong when nobody was around!
It didn't always work when I was younger but it works 99.9% of the time now!

·
Registered
612 Posts
What I want to know, what was the bear doing out of it's den? It's tough to tell from the picture, but it looks like it was a healthy bear... so I don't think it died of starvation. So when is the state gonna stop dragging it's feet on this? Any updates yet?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Dragthor is correct, most male bears dont hibernate, infact, most female bears that arent birthing young dont hibernate either.
Hibernation is almost a misconception of bears. Bears without great food sources, and bears with babies are normally the only ones to stay in the dens into spring. Large males will often den up as well, but are more apt to get up sometime during the winter.
Its not unusual to see bears wandering around on a nice day in the middle of winter. ESPECIALLY a bear like that one, where he has the steady food source of garbage cans.

Juvenile male bears are the least likely to hibernate.

Also, if you hunt bears in the spring; It may help you to know, that for the first week or two, bears coming from dens dont eat meat. They have to eat as much vegetation as they can to rid themselves of the waste that backs up there system. After that though, they are voracious for meat.

Sad to see a good sized bear go to waste like that, and you guys are right, they will claim its a hunter. When in reallity HUNTERS dont do crap like that, POACHERS do. Thats like labeling everyone who has sex, a rapist! Antis are very sneaky, underhanded, intelligent individuals. Dont think for a second they arent. There ideals just differ from ours so greatly. I wouldnt be surprised if an anti did this, as someone mentioned, so they could shut down all hunting.

Either that, or BHC is right, and some yuppie shot it because it was pooping and eating in his 2 million dollar lawn. [mad]

Have a good one---Matt:)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yes and no Matty. Dragthor is correct, bears won't hibernate if there is a food source around. But bears in general do hibernate... the last ones into the den and first ones out are the males. Atleast this is what I have found in my readings and what I have been told by biologists, guides, etc.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Yeah your right, I should have been more clear.
What I should have said is that most bears dont "hibernate" the way most people think they do.

Your right though, my explanation was somewhat wrong.

Sorry about that...thanks for clearing it up!---Matt:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts