New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Did that yrs ago while cold weather survival training in Alaska, not fun at all.
what he states is true, the first time you hit the water feels like a million pins are pricking you all at once. the trick is not to panic(easier said than done):)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
you guys might think im bs you, but i was hunting a piece of property my freind had permission to hunt in mendham. one afternoon while sitting in my stand i had a few kids come by with ice skates in hand. they were going iceskating on the pond right next to my stand. as they were skating behind each other they caught a patch of thin ice and all 3 of them went right through the ice thank god the water was only about 2 feet deep in that spot, thank god there was a happy ending. some really scary stuff..

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
When I was younger my father decided to take a ride down to shark river to check on the boat in dry dock. The whole family went. While there 2 kids were on the ice in the bay and fell in about 100 yds from shore. We heard them yelling, my father ran to help but ended in himself busting the ice with his fists he was able to reach the kids. One was already under the ice. The police got there and one thanked him for he said if he had to go in he probably would have had a heartattack. They brought everyone to the hospital. The father just said thanks and tried to hand my father a bottle of whiskey as a reward . He was looking for none and told the guy to keep it. he needed it more than him. Oh by the way the father never even went to the hospital to check on his kids. They should just be glad my father had an urge to take a ride that day. When my father asked about the kids and any write-up in the paper he was told they don't write about good things you do just the bad things. Nice attitude.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
but I try to keep my butt off the ice!!!
Might be good for your wrist.

In all seriousness falling through the ice is a serious problem. It is good to know how to be prepared if it were to happen. Thanks for the video.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts