New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever fallen from a tree stand? Be it a climbing tree stand or a hanging one? And how did you handle it and what did you do. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
fell in 02, I left the steps in for years and the top one pulled out and down I came. Radial head fracture left elbow and a couple of dings. Thank God I missed the steps on the way down(18ft. You're on the ground before you know it. Needless to say I take all steps out every year. Not fun, trust me

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Matty fell earlier this year on his way up in his climber. There is a post about it somewhere. I think he framed his full body harness he used.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I really didn't fall but this year I came down in my Climber. (sit and climb). It looked like I was close enough to the ground to unhook my feet from the bottom, let it fall and I would just drop down to it. Well fortunately the tether was short enough that when I let go to slide/jump to the bottom I just got hung up under my arm pits and was barely on my toes. Ouch. another foot of tether and Would have really been hurting. Must have droped 4-5' OI shortened that up quick and never took what seemed to be close enough for granted again.

·
Registered
751 Posts
You know I was wondering if people really used these harnessess. this will be my first year using a climber and it seems like a pretty good idea to use the harness. I'm generally cautious anyway but do people really use them? I intend to.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I do.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Geez, slip once and the whole world talks about it like you jump out of your stand to get down.

Im probably one of the most cautious people you'd ever meet. However, earlier this season, I was climbing a tree I probably shouldnt have picked. It was covered in loose shaggy bark and was almost too big for my stand. I chose it more on location to a deer trail, rather than for its "climbability" though, so up I go.

When I got to about 15' I hooked up the tree strap part of my harness. Normally I would do this lower, around 10' but the shaggy bark prevented me from doing so. Anyway, I raise my hand climber, and as I put weight on it to raise the platform, the hand climber slips down the tree and throws me off balance. The stand came off my feet but luckily I pinned it to the tree with my left foot. (I dont have the top and bottom tethered).

The fall was only as far as my harness to tree connection (roughly 12") but it knocked my glasses off, and hurt like a B I T C H. I was able to get re-situated and set the platform. I immediately climbed down from that stupid !*&!)!)@!)ing tree and picked a different one. I was still shaking realizing that if I hadnt connected my safety belt, I would have made a quick trip to the ground. There was a rock wall below me, so I probably would have been severely injured or killed. Not a pleasant thought.

WEAR your SAFETY HARNESS! It could save your life!

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Mine goes on as soon as my feet are on the platform, and I don't take it off till I'm ready to step or jump to the ground, which ever need be.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
I don't and should. I know. I just don't like them. But the higher I go with the climber I know I have to start wearing it.

At work we have dealt with guys that have fallen out of their stands. One broke his back and was in the woods all day because he was hunting alone and noone knew where he was hunting. Lucky to be alive.
Another broke an arm, leg and ribs.
Another broke a leg very badly and I think a clavical.

All were lucky to live.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Yup, I do too. But it would be my luck to probably fall on the cell phone and break it.
I'm about done bow hunting this year but I am going to look into a few different kinds of harnesses for next year. [up]

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
I'm about done bow hunting this year but I am going to look into a few different kinds of harnesses for next year.
couldnt hurt...i also bring walkie talkies for when we split up...i allways carry spare batteries too..[up]

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I wear a full-body harness. too many horror stories out there. Dont want to become another statistic.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I fell 7 years ago. I had shot an 8 pointer, retrieved it, field dressed it etc. I then went to go get my stuff that was still up at my fixed position loc-on type stand that was 23ft up. I climbed up, grabbed my fanny pack and began to climb down, the first step off the stand was fine,but when I went to put my foot on the second step,I instead stepped on a branch thinking it was my tree step. The branch gave way and down I went.

When I hit the ground, I couldn't breathe since I got the wind nocked out of me, I thought for certain I was going to die, and honest to God the first thought in my mind was "well, at least I'm going out doing something I like" after a few moments I regained my breath and tried to stand, which of course I couldn't since my lower left leg was shatterd.
My back was in even more pain than my leg, but luckily that wasn't broken.
I yelled for help, but no one else was out that day and my cell phone was in my truck. So I started to crawl out the 3/4 miles to my truck. I started at 6:00 pm and finally reached my vehicle exhausted shortly before midnight. I was barely able to get into my truck to get the cell phone and dial 911. The ambulance came to get me and I had surgery that night at Centra State Medical Center. I will NEVER forget that day.
I know my fall was bad, but when I think about it, I was incredibly lucky, I could have been paralyzed or even killed.
Safety belts are critical when climbing up and down.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Hey Stealthy, Im glad you're still with us bud! [up]That nightmare could've ended a lot differently.:eek:

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Not quite the same thing:

Back in the early 70's I worked for the phone company. I was climbing with the climbing spikes (hooks in lineman/splicer jargon.) down by Giants Stadium only before the stadium was built. It was freezing out and the wind blew real hard on my first step back down. I almost fell off the pole hugging it saved me. Unfortunatly my left foot spiked my right foot just behind the ankle near the achilles tendon. Oddly enough it was painless. At first I thought I just caught my boot. When I took the next step down blood squrted out the hole in my boot and out each additional step down the pole. When I got back in the truck I took off my boot and poured out about a coffee cup of blood. I was lucky we had two guys on the truck that day because by the time we got to the hospital I had lost so much blood I was almost passed out. They gave me a transfusion, three stitches on a hole 1/2" wide and more than 1/2" deep. Apparently there is an artery or something in that part of the foot.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I had a good friend, Bill Gleason, he was a police officer in Wall Township and he fell from his tree stand and during the fall his safety belt strap wrapped around his neck and he died...I think of Bill every time I climb into my stand....I fell once while building a stand, luckily just lost my wind but I was much younger and flexible at the time..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts