New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I love to use my smoker when I cook Venison/ Big Game/Small game (?).... From the start of early bow season till the very last hunting day in Feburary. I use just a little charcole and fresh cut wood/ soaked in water for 24hrs. Does anyone else cook outdoors?

Yes I have a tarp set-up so I can cook(smoke) in the rain & snow. Smoking you can just get it going and go inside for some time and just come back and check it every hour.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I built a shed and have my elec. smoker inside on a shelf with the stack going through the roof. Also my gas grill outside my back steps to which I have this huge umbrella that hangs from above that I can close and swing against the house. When swung out and opened I use a bunge to clip to the grill to keep it stationary in the wind. Love cooking outdoors.[up]

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow only me & jerseyhunter cook outside in the cold weather.... Boy y'all missing out on some good tasteing food then.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
when i go hunting we bring a portable coleman grill sometimes...we make stuff like soup and sandwiches...

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
If its snowing hard I don't grill - but I leave it out there all year. Nothing brightens a gray wintrer day more than bbq and good ale!

I had a Webber Smoker a long time ago - that thing was great. Now its all propane - cue up Hank Hill.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats the best to to be out grill'n... Heavy snow, a bottle of something to keep you warm, some good food... Makes for a great day to grill to me...or Smoke

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
i cook out all year long.rain, snow,hurricane, you name it. food taste better that way.....[up]

·
Registered
949 Posts
I leave the grill out on the patio all year, I must say I do not use it as much in the winter as I do the summer. I never owned a smoker, but some of the best trout I had was at my Uncles house. He cleaned out his freezer and found leftover trout and smoked them. Those things are hard to light:)

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I start it by lighting charcol, for a slow smoke... For a Hot smoke I get wood flakes for a starter fire then add wood like a fireplace.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I will be the next couple of sundays, I am gonna take it to my parents in PA and do some jery, and ho sticks there

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm thinking of maybe having a End of Season cook out, if not I'll still be smoking something the Sunday after the end of Winter Bow.. Venison or beef don't matter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts