New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anybody in the North Jersey region is willing to help out a fairly new deer hunter, or needs someone to tag along for a hunt sometime in the final days of 6-day firearm season, please let me know.

As a little background/disclaimer, I am completely new to deer hunting, I've only hunted waterfowl before and decided (pretty much last minute) that I should get into deer hunting as well.

If anybody is interested in helping out a fairly new hunter in North Jersey or needs someone to tag along, please send me a message, and I apologize that this is so last minute, but it's better late than never.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For some quick advice do some research on the area you're hunting and if you're planning on sitting and hunting, try to find out where other hunters are driving (pushing deer) most of the time. You could use them as an advantage to drive deer towards you yet they could just as easily screw you. And careful asking for a partner, some people like to steal that big old buck from ya. Good luck, shoot straight, and have fun!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For some quick advice do some research on the area you're hunting and if you're planning on sitting and hunting, try to find out where other hunters are driving (pushing deer) most of the time. You could use them as an advantage to drive deer towards you yet they could just as easily screw you. And careful asking for a partner, some people like to steal that big old buck from ya. Good luck, shoot straight, and have fun!
Thanks for the advice, I was looking to go with someone for the first time deer hunting and wasn't too worried about having a big buck stolen from me - just looking for some experience in deer hunting.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
We are getting snow right now. If I were you I would check out stokes forest and walpack area. Also old mine road which runs parallel to the Delaware river. Get a day pack together and orange jacket and hat and good pair of boots. Go onto Google Earth and check out the areas I am telling you about. I would get there around 7am. Plan out a track you can follow based on aerial pictures. End the track around 2pm at a spot that is a high vantage point like a ridge or hill side ( find these by using the topo feature on Google earth) that overlooks a swamp or thicket. Still hunt all day. Go slow, very slow looking ahead of you for bedded deer , a tail flick etc. Find some hemlocks and creep through there. You don't need a partner. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Me too Chris! I've never gone hunting, but this economy scares me. Time to learn a new skill! I noticed you have hunted water fowl, I rescued an American Labrador Retriever from the south, I saw him "pointing" the other day. Do you have a gun dog? Anyway, I'm in Hunterdon County, there is a lot of hunting out here! I'm hoping to learn more about it and at some point actually do it. Although, it will be tough for me, I've never hunted anything and may chicken out!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.