New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope you guys can help me with this one. It seems we have quite a few stray cats in the neighborhood. Every summer it gets worse and this summer is really bad. They are literally crapping all over our flower beds and urinating all over the yard. My whole back yard literally smells like cat piss. Real nice when you want to sit out by the pool or fire pit. Last week my wife texted me twice at work to tell me that she went out to get the mail and wondered why there were a lot of flies all around the front of the house, then she realized there was a huge clump of uncovered cat crap in the flower bed.

Anybody know what I can do? We've got the cat repellent from Lowe's, didn't work. Animal control is no help. I'm afraid to put out have-a-heart traps and catch a skunk, groundhog or **** instead. My next option is a .22 HP to the head, but I'm really trying to explore all options.

Just to give you an idea. When I take the dogs out for the last time at night, and look down the road, all I can see is cats criss-crossing the street. At least 5-6 times a week I go out to the backyard and a cat or two will run off my patio into the woods.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
My next option is a .22 HP to the head
Thats your best option.[up]

Havaheart with catfood during the day. Pull it in the house at night. My mom has them and all the "Repellants" DO NOT WORK. Good Luck

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
Time for some night predator hunting. Don't know if baiting is legal but a mouth call should work. If not just go "Here kitty kitty kitty.[patcheye] If you do trap them with a Have a hart I'd release them up at KEHOE's house up in West Milford. Either she'll take care of them or her docile bears will. :D

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Any type of predator spray should work. Yote urine works. Its tough, it takes a smell to get rid of a smell. A 22 works well with no smell.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
i have the same problem,it is one of your ahole neighbors feeding them! keep calling the humane society,they will trap and destroy them. you gotta be on them,they will help.

good luck with your coo coo clock cat lady!!!![wallmad]

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice. Seems like my last option is the best option.;)

My wife and I are really just fed up. We'd actually like to spend some time in the yard this summer with our 5 month old son, but it's just not enjoyable being outside.

These cats have no collars as far as I can tell. When you go outside after a storm, they are literally sitting there drinking from puddles. Sad, but even moreso, a pain in the a$$ that there are so many.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I know a few towns in NJ allow feral cat colonies to exist. The animal righters come in and trap them, fix them and let them live "naturally". Ask you mayor if your town is one, and if so, raise hell about it. Tell them the cats are ruining your quality of life. Get your neighbors to complain too. Nothing like the fear of losing the next election to get an elected official going.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Posted: 12 Jul 2009 5:18 PM

Currently Online Posts: 794
Typical:
Send bwd172 a PM
I know a few towns in NJ allow feral cat colonies to exist. The animal righters come in and trap them, fix them and let them live "naturally". Ask you mayor if your town is one, and if so, raise hell about it. Tell them the cats are ruining your quality of life. Get your neighbors to complain too. Nothing like the fear of losing the next election to get an elected official going.
Yaeh those morons call it TSNR trap;spay/nueter; release or something like that. It is decimating the songbird populations where they do it.

NJ1911 check your PM's

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Brilliant guys, purely brilliant. tell the man to shoot and poison them to give the anti's more ammo against us.THEN get the other animal rights people on us as well.

Call the city find out what the deal is,most likely some of them are neighbors cats.which in most cities and townships it is illegal to let them roam without collars and such. if something isn't done call the health dept, because of the stench and such. meanwhile find a better more humane way of getting rid of the cats. hav a heart traps then take them to a shelter,the sprinkler method, whatever. Whatever you do do not shoot them or poison them, especially with antifreeze

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Brilliant guys, purely brilliant. tell the man to shoot and poison them to give the anti's more ammo against us.THEN get the other animal rights people on us as well.

Call the city find out what the deal is,most likely some of them are neighbors cats.which in most cities and townships it is illegal to let them roam without collars and such. if something isn't done call the health dept, because of the stench and such. meanwhile find a better more humane way of getting rid of the cats. hav a heart traps then take them to a shelter,the sprinkler method, whatever. Whatever you do do not shoot them or poison them, especially with antifreeze
Good point antis are monitering this sight looking for an opertunity to make us look bad.

Quote:
antifreeze
no good cats can puke ,it wont kill them

·
Registered
8,066 Posts

your right i forgot, im not worried about the antis anymore but if ya need something done do it right;) i wont repeat remedies anymore you guys know what ya gotta do[up]

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Speaking of bird populations...can't tell you how many dead ones I have picked up from the yard.

Think my best course of action is to talk to the health dept. on Monday and see what they can do. If it continues after that...well[ko].

We have two dogs and an indoor cat. Can't stand people who don't take care of their animals. I'm still not sure if these are feral or if they are just farm cats or whatever roaming around. Seem more like someone's outdoor cat(s). Thing is they are out all hours of the day or night. Might try the have-a-heart during the day and call animal control to pick it up if we get one. Then just repeat. We have about 5 or 6 steady customers in the yard.

I'm sure the anti's would be happy if we continued to just live with it. Ain't gonna happen.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts