New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Less than a week. Everyone have everything ready?
Quick check list. I know I will probably leave something out. If I do please add it.
License
Pheasant/ quail stamp
Shells in correct guage in size 5, 6, or 7 1/2
Briar pants (those friggin things hurt)
Gloves
Blaze orange hat
Upland coat with game bag
Some other way to carry game if the coat doesn't
First aid kit (you or dog)
Water (you and dog)
Food (you and dog)

Something else I would suggest. It may be worth getting a HIP # as wood [no swearing please] will still be in season. Even if it is only 1 day in the north zone.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hunt the hunters.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm ready, except for (i) gotta pick up my stamp this week and (ii) need some 6's.

I'm starting at Assunpink at about 3:00 PM Saturday; usually the flying lead is thinning out by then...and most of the 500 untrained dogs have been kenneled up!

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not that my dog is more than 1/2 trained at this point
That's better that some of the dogs I have seen.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
im preparing to get ready...one thing i like to practice is shouldering my gun and making sure my head is down..you definetly need to practice that because sometimes you just point the gun in the direction of the bird because of the competion..

·
Registered
267 Posts
mp:

Did you join NAVHDA yet? If so, check the cover of the monthly NAVHDA magazine -- my pup's dam is on there -- she's the first Braque du Bourbonnais to earn a Versatile Champion in NAVHDA. Hopefully, I can get Sabre to near that level some day...

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mp:

Did you join NAVHDA yet? If so, check the cover of the monthly NAVHDA magazine -- my pup's dam is on there -- she's the first Braque du Bourbonnais to earn a Versatile Champion in NAVHDA. Hopefully, I can get Sabre to near that level some day...
VC Patou du Pech du Cayrol looks like a beautiful dog. If she is a Versatile Champion your pup should do great.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Actually, I'm not looking forward to the usual idiots who go stomping through the woods without a clue. [mad] God I'm going to miss those quiet times during the early season.

David

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
usual idiots who go stomping through the woods
Who you calling an idiot? Don't associate me with the pumpkin patch.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
all I can say to them is THANK YOU
And I Thank You BHC for not calling me an idiot.

Next year my dog will be wearing blaze orange so some bowhunter doesn't shoot her.

G

·
I love dogs.....last week when the temps got up in the mid 70's brownstones and I left the woods by 1 pm, we have to walk down thru a overgrown field, there we see two guys bird hunting, I shook there hands, and asked if they will be back on the 12th in this field, they said yes and they will do what they can to push deer. That dog wanted to play fetch, he will this saturday fetching them birds

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Who you calling an idiot? Don't associate me with the pumpkin patch.
I wasn't referring to you at all... relax. All I'm saying is that I've seen enough of stupid small game hunters to make me feel ill at the thought of them being in the woods.

EX: Last year I'm hunting in Turkey Swamp, zone 16, and I hear several hundred yards away, a bunch of these retards blasting away every couple of minutes. You could hear them screaming at the dog(s) who weren't listening, and like 6 shots at a time being fired. They were totally clueless and ruined my entire afternoon. Not a deer in their right mind would've been anywhere near that area.

David

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wasn't referring to you at all... relax. All I'm saying is that I've seen enough of stupid small game hunters to make me feel ill at the thought of them being in the woods.

EX: Last year I'm hunting in Turkey Swamp, zone 16, and I hear several hundred yards away, a bunch of these retards blasting away every couple of minutes. You could hear them screaming at the dog(s) who weren't listening, and like 6 shots at a time being fired. They were totally clueless and ruined my entire afternoon. Not a deer in their right mind would've been anywhere near that area.

David
I know you weren't referring to me specificly. I'll tell you a little secret of mine. Those guys like you described ruin my small game trips too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts