New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lack of success at bowhunting for the past 7 years had me thinking of giving it up. Any of you guys ever think of hanging it up?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Don't ever quit. Obviously you like the sport otherwise you wouldnt have stuck with it for so long. The fact is you must be doing something wrong, it can't all be blamed on bad luck.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what are you insane!!!!
You know, you're not the first person to ask me that. I am starting to think I am.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
im thinking of quitting fishing! i have only caught one b [no swearing please] and one pickeral. i feel like i have wasted my money on the boat, motor, and lures! i dont think i will though because i dont want that money i used to go to waste! my dad is thinking about quitting hunting altogher. ever since his favorite dog died. he says he doesnt have the killer instinct anymore!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I never really wanted to quit but i got very frustrated with it. It took me 3 years to get my first one that i just got 3 weeks ago. Just hang in there and dont give up.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The fact is you must be doing something wrong, it can't all be blamed on bad luck.
Just found out this year I was shooting with the wrong eye so I got a new bow. This year I think is bad luck teamed with frustration.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you are hanging out with Matty and Ian!
true, maybe it would be better to shoot tree rats with Jim

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
HOLY CRAP...NO!!!!!!I started hunting with my dad when I was 5.By 10 I took my test and started hunting in my own stand 30 yds away from my dad. I did'nt get my first bow kill till I was 22. It was a 5 pt in NYS shot him right in the neck and he dropped like a fly.At that moment I threw off my face mask dropped to my knees and thanked god for my first bow kill. I had gotten two deer before one was a Button buck when I was 11,the other a doe when I was 15. Both with the shotgun.Before my buck I missed a few,hit a couple we never found. And through it all,All I wanted was to be out in the woods. I watched older people around me,I listened,Learned,And understood mistakes I made. Learned deer body movement. Signs in the woods, Weather.Read tons of books and magazines. Tried new things like grunting and rattling, When to use decoys and lures.This sport became a passion,a obsession. During the off season I play deerhunter on my computer. My sons second word was deer. now I'm bringing him into my sick little world of whitetail deer hunting and he loves it. All I have is a total of 13 bucks killed scince my first bow kill when I was 22, I'm 35 now. and through all the times I never once thought of quiting. I know this sport aint easy,and some people seem to have better luck then others so it seems,Nope never wanted to quit. I still want to take you to Rockaway,I'll put you on a deer trust me.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I've lost my passion for it,I've got all the time in the world to hunt right now and I've only been out twice,just don't have the desire to be out there.As much as I like it I'm just sick off all the BS that goes along with it anymore( losing all my private land,being a patsy for the management program,etc etc etc)I'm real close to giving it up.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
sick off all the BS that goes along with it anymore( losing all my private land,being a patsy for the management program
I feel the same way and this will be my first season in three years. I knew I wouldn't stop all together. The greed with all the permit fees really frost my nuts.
I don't get all serious about it anymore, haven't been out yet, but I'm ready, and as soon as the first frost hits, I'll be perched in my Ol' Man.
My goal is to locate a nice buck on my trail cams and tag him.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
im thinking of quitting fishing! i have only caught one b [no swearing please] and one pickeral. i feel like i have wasted my money on the boat, motor, and lures!
Mack, you should meet up with my brother. He catches b [no swearing please] like there is no tomorrow. He knows most the little tricks and stuff......You guys could enter b [no swearing please] tournies together.

Hell, I used to hate fishing too, but he taught me all the tricks, and I catch about 100 b [no swearing please] now throughout the summer. Most nights we avg about 6 fish each.

Im serious too....email me and maybe you guys can go fishing together. He will definitely teach you something. Hes like a fish magnet!
[email protected]

·
11,226 Posts
true, maybe it would be better to shoot tree rats with Jim
Next year when I go out bow hunting you and I will get together and get it done!!! Now that this site is here and we are all making new friends there should be no reason to quit!!! It's not about the kill as much as the good times you have!!! Mpemt24 I think you create your own bad luck by believing that bad luck is following you!!!! Positive energy creates positive energy!!! When your thinking positive you do all the little things right!! When your thinking negative you tend to skip the little things which in return creates a negative effect!!!
my dad is thinking about quitting hunting altogher. ever since his favorite dog died. he says he doesnt have the killer instinct anymore!
If your dad ever quits you always have us to go with Mack!!! Tell your dad to get his butt into gear and get a new dog!!!! No this dog will never be the one that died but he will start a new relationship with this one and build another great set of memories, this time with you by his side!!!!
Any time you want to go and shoot some squirrels Mike you let me know!!![up] Although I doubt hanging out with me will help your sanity much!!!!;):D[up]

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i'll put you on some deer mpemt. i'm going out thursday morning if you want to go. it's my daughters bday so i'm just going for the am. let me know. it's close to where you hunt by me.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Mike, keep your chin up man.

What Jim just said is SO true. Its all about staying positive.

Whatever you do, dont quit! You have some guys here that are really trying to put you on deer, and it will happen.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts