New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where everything that could go wrong, did.

Yesterday afternoon felt great. A new spot I scouted out at Picatinny. A dreary overcast day with just the right amount of wind. I just knew it was going to be a good day. Well guess what, it sucked. It started out with the walk in with my climber. its kind of big and bulky and the spot I hunted was real think. so as I'm walking in my friggen climber is boucing off evey piece brush it can find.
Clang!!!Clunk!!!Bang!! And I'm swearing like a truck driver on speed after every bang or clang. In a very low wisper of course. you want to be stealthy heading in to your stand. Clang!! Bang!!! Clunk!!!
So, now I'm at the tree I picked to put my climber in while scouting. "Oh looky there its to big" Hmm better pick a new tree." That one looks pretty good over there." Clang!! Bang!! Crunch!!So I get to the new tree, climb up ( which takes me about a half hour because I am really not good at all with the thing). So finally I'm all set up and low and behold I have 1 shooting lane!!! Oh boy!! well I stick it out, of course I dont see anything. Now its time to get back down . I start down very slowly. 1 step, 2 steps, ok doing good. 3rd step, the platform slips off my feet. Now I'm swearing like a truck driver on speed LOUDLY.&^%#@! ))(^&# (&^%^%%%%%&*. After several attempts to get the stand back on the tree I decide I'm going to have to jump the last 10 or 12 feet. Thank god I didnt get hurt. Now I had to find a long enough branch to get the stand down . well Its now after dark, I'm on my way back and of couse seeing deer at every turn on my way out of the encloseure plus the biggest raccoon I have ever seen. Probally 15 deer all together. Ever have days like this?? [mad][down]

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
I know it's not nice to laugh at other peoples problems, but we do, cause we've all been there one time or another.

Great post :D

I could close my eyes and hear the " ^#@*%&$#@ " floating through the woods.

LMAO

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I'm going to have to jump the last 10 or 12 feet
Man last year I got glasses and I went out Hunting after I got them. Well they are for far sighted and make everythin closer. Well I ended up shooting a Doe that day and so I started down the tree. I must have got about 10 feet from the ground and it really looked only about 2-3 feet when I decided I was close enough to the ground to just jump off the stand. Well needless to say I was not 10 feet when you re not expecting it really catches you by suprise (THUMP OUCH THAT HURT!) Well like you I had to find something to knock the stand down also as I could not reach it. Last time I wore my glasses hunting needless to say. Good story Scrubby![up]

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol yup hkdon Luckily I was kind of prepared for the jump/controlled fall. I hit the ground and rolled. swearing of course hurt my shoulder a bit but I'm ok.

Hey hkdon did you want to get together sometime this week or next to hunt the property in Mine hill? maybe bring a couple of other guys too?

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Yea that sounds good lets see how this rain holds up. I hate the rain. I like hunting after the rain but not during. We will play things by the weather.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good, If not this week then definatly next. hey what happend to you on Frday? did you get my email?

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
My computer shutdown on me as i was online. Then I passed out I was beat working crazy hours can kill ya!! I am sure you know all about them crazy hours. We will make it this week I am sure.[up]

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear ya I will be starting 12 hour nights starting Oct 23rd. which isnt bad I'll get off from work and hunt morning. The pre rut should start heating up.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Scrubby my last 7 seasons of bowhunting has been that way. Just found out this year, I was shooting with the wrong eye. Switched bow 3 days before the season started. Now I just need to see deer.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Scrubby,

You may want to put a rope between your platform and your seat. I have mine only long enough that I have to stand on my toes to be able to sit on the seat. Makes for an easy recovery if you lose the platform. I also use it to aid in climbing as it makes it easier to angle the platform than with my feet alone.

-dan

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Scrubby, we have to get together and hunt, Shawn told me you hunt the same area as us. I am usually up there on Mondays, Wednsdays, and saturdays, Let me know

Ian

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dan I had a rope between but it was a little to long. I will fix that.

Ian next week in the morings will be good.Starting Wed the 19th I will begin my 12 hour night shifts agian I will be in the woods every morning. We can meet up any time. It will be great to meet you guys.

Well any way, on top of my adventure on Monday I get to my stand last night get all set up /didnt see anyting except a racoon and thats a good thing because I usually draw the bow when I get set up and as i'm about to leave the stand. I didnt draw early last night, for some reason I forgot. Well as I draw before I left the stand I notice my peep slipped out of position and was flat...probally happened on the way out on Monday, fighting my way through the brush cursing and tripping all over the place. That would have really sucked if I was about to shoot a deer and discovered My sight was a mess. I got it back to position but I'll have to shoot it tonight.. So far not a great couple of days in the woods. Thank god I'm going camping this weekend with the kids. I think I need a few days off.
[mad][mad][down][down]

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ian, where? Mulch site? or towards the industrial area more? Its probally gonna be next week. Maybe Monday.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Have no clue where the mulch site is, But I am up in the industrial park, arcross the powerline right now. Matty and I saw 3 bucks Monday and one was big, but I have soooo many deer and deer sign up that end that it would be hard for me to go anywhere but there. and I havent hunted the morning there since the first day, and with all the signs, I havent seen anything big in the afternoon, so I can't wait to get out one morning up there

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used to hunt that area. I got scared off with all the rumors of the property being sold and guys having sole permission to hunt there. I'm hunting near the other powerline that runs from canfield to to 46 near the canfield ave side. if you want we can meet up Monday night or wednesday morning. Like I said I will be hunting probally every morning from next wed thru the 29th.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I used to hunt that area. I got scared off with all the rumors of the property being sold and guys having sole permission to hunt there.
GREAT, Im sure they'll love it when I play dumb and tell them Ian invited me. As I point towards his treestand and say "thats the guy", we'll see him running through the woods laughing and yelling; "SO LONG SUCKER!"

I'm hunting near the other powerline that runs from canfield to to 46 near the canfield ave side. if you want we can meet up Monday night or wednesday morning. Like I said I will be hunting probally every morning from next wed thru the 29th.
What about me? Matty want to hunt with SRB and Ian too...:( Matty get ANGRY when no one invite him to go![mad]:D

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What about me? Matty want to hunt with SRB and Ian too... Matty get ANGRY when no one invite him to go!
Sure you're invited sunshine. We could use a good deer dragger. I feel a slight twinge in my back starting to develop. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts