New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reference: Compilation of situational scenerio's presented during NC Hunted Ed classes

Often times a sport hunter (regardless of age or experience) runs across a situation where, alone with no one around, must make a decision that reflects his/her deeper inner character. What follows are just a few such situations. Consider what you would do, and be totally honest with yourself about it.

SITUATION 1: You are hunting pheasants with a very close friend when a bald eagle swoops down close by. Your friend shoots the eagle on purpose. What would you do?

SITUATION 2: You are walking in the woods and you notice a lot of camp-litter on the trail. You are alone and it's getting late. What would you do?

SITUATION 3: It's 4 PM on the last day of deer season and you haven't yet taken a deer. You are deer hunting on public property (WMA) that is next to a large piece of fenced private property that is posted NO HUNTING. A large buck jumps from cover and over the fence and runs 75 yards into the private property before it stops in the open and looks back at you. What would you do?

SITUATION 4: Go back to Situation 3. The deer jumps but you shoot it before it jumps the fence. It runs 100 yards before it falls and dies. What would you do?

SITUATION 5: You are hunting Elk in a National Forest. While walking through a large stand of timber, you come upon a cow elk that is wounded and cannot get up. You are licensed for a bull elk only. What would you do?

In all but the first SITUATION, there is no one for miles around. What have you done to polish that inner strength of character to the point you would be proud and comfortable with WHAT YOU WOULD DO?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
GREAT THREAD!!!![up]

SITUATION 1: You are hunting pheasants with a very close friend when a bald eagle swoops down close by. Your friend shoots the eagle on purpose. What would you do?

I honestly dont know for two reasons. Ive never hunted pheasant before, and secondly, I dont think any of my friends would do that because they KNOW I would turn them in if they did something that horrible.

SITUATION 2: You are walking in the woods and you notice a lot of camp-litter on the trail. You are alone and it's getting late. What would you do?

I assume this question means, in the morning, and its getting late to go to your stand. That being the case, I would pick up the trash, and either pile it up to carry out later, or bring back to the truck then. I really hate litter, and Im ALWAYS picking it up. As for the rest of my hunt, Im usually late in the morning anyway. THats why I learned to use a turkey call to get to my spot without alerting the deer as to me being a human.;)

SITUATION 3: It's 4 PM on the last day of deer season and you haven't yet taken a deer. You are deer hunting on public property (WMA) that is next to a large piece of fenced private property that is posted NO HUNTING. A large buck jumps from cover and over the fence and runs 75 yards into the private property before it stops in the open and looks back at you. What would you do?

I dont normally hunt with a gun, but I wouldnt shoot it. I p [no swearing please] tons of bucks all the time, and to let another one walk wont mean much. Im not gonna risk losing my hunting priveledge.

SITUATION 4: Go back to Situation 3. The deer jumps but you shoot it before it jumps the fence. It runs 100 yards before it falls and dies. What would you do?

It depends on if I know the landowner, if I do, I may just go retrieve it, and let them know later. If I dont I will go ask permission. If I DO know them and know they will say no, you better believe Im gonna sneak on there to get my deer.

SITUATION 5: You are hunting Elk in a National Forest. While walking through a large stand of timber, you come upon a cow elk that is wounded and cannot get up. You are licensed for a bull elk only. What would you do?

Id put her down, tag her in, and explain to them why I killed her. Id surrender my bull tag if need be, but would hope they would understand, and let me continue to hunt.

Great thread! [up]

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
1. i don't hunt with anyone who would do this so it wouldn't be an issue.

2. I would clean it. I already do that. I usually always caring a shoprite bag when i take walks in the woods for such the same reason.

3. Just watch it. Hell i still have an hour left.

4. I go to the house of who owns the property to tell them what happened and hope they let me get it. I've lost a deer like this before.

5. Put her down. I hate to say it but i would then move on. Leave her for the animals. they need to eat to.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
1. Don't hang with these type of people. That's our country bird. Sign of freedom. If I saw anybody doing this, I'd hit my speed dial.

2. I do this always. My kids even know to bring out one more thing then you brought in.

3. How big? Just kidding take a photo and keep hunting. ie "till our trails cross,"

4. I my area retrieve the buck. Most property owners live out of state and lease their land to farmers who in reality only have 1st farming rights.

5. My morals would have to over ride any laws here. I'd put her down. If I got ticketed, oh well! Of coarse the warden would get the morals lesson from a lifelong outdoorsman.

Till our trails cross,

Ryan

·
Registered
35 Posts
1. I`m pretty selective on who I hunt with,I have "some" friends that hunt but "I" wouldn`t even hunt with,they walk too thin of a line for me.

2.Hell, I see that more and more each year{tires,couches,refridgerators,etc..]I`ts nothing new to me on state land.Yea, I`m wearing Orange,but there ain`t any numbers but my license on the back.How bout Rancocas Creek in my duck blind?Talk about trash!!!!No problem finding a milk crate to sit on.

3. Definately not shoot.Just hope he gets a case of the brainfarts.

4. Leave my unloaded gun at the base of the tree,drag it under the fence if I can,and gut it.S*#^ happens.Should be hair and blood where you first hit`em.EVIDENCE!

5. Put her out of her misery.I can`t stand seeing an animal suffering.[As long as she don`t have a bullet hole already in her]

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1) I would call an ambulance for the guy that just got the sh** kicked out of him. If he was my best friend I couldn't turn him in (we all make mistakes and bad choices in life) but I would make sure when he woke up in the hospital that he knew how wrong it was for him to do what he did and I would never hunt with him again! Any other (friend) and I would be reporting him/her.
2)Like others have said I always try to bring out more then I went in with! When fishing I'm cleaning up more then fishing sometimes! So many slobs in this state!
3)15 years ago that would be a dead deer! (sorry but they said be honest!) Now I have a much better understanding what hunting is all about and what I'm all about! Today that deer lives to see another day!
4)There is no one around for miles I'm crossing the fence without my gun and dragging him back over! If I'm near the houses I'll go knock on the door and get permission. I did this a few years back with a doe. The people were fine with me going to get it.
5)I once came across a doe that had been hit with an arrow while pheasant hunting. She was laying along a stone wall on the edge of a field but could barely get up and kept falling back down. I finished her off with a 7 1/2 bird load behind the ears! I told a guy from the club what I did (he was a cop) and we went back and got the deer and he took it home. I wasn't going to let it suffer one way or the other!

·
Registered
612 Posts
I would offer my friend the option... donate time to rehabilitate birds of prey or have me call fish and game and report him.

Pick up as much as possible in the time you have. I came across a deer stand this year with litter all around it... sandwich rappers, entemans boxes, soda cans... I took down the hunters tree steps and placed them at the base of his tree, then I gathered up all the trash and put it on top of his steps, then I left a nasty note about what he should do to keep the woods clean.

Simple, I wouldn't shoot... I would take a few pics because nobody would believe me, but I wouldn't shoot the buck.

Tough one, I would ask the owner for permission to go get it... if the person is approached the right way, most would say yes.... if he said no, I would probably go get it anyway.

Another tough one, legally, you can't shoot it. I would be tempted to put it out of it's misery. But I would probably let nature take it's course.... it's only a matter of time before the wolves get to it anyway.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I just want to answer the first two.

1. SHOOT friend. If he thinks a good idea to shoot an eagle, than it's definetly a good idea to shoot him.

2. Find campers and introduce them to mr. gun-butt and explain to them that the world is not thier trash can.

there's no room on this planet for idiots and slobs.

:D:D[smirk] have a nice day!

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Knock Him out first off, Then take him to the police. That is not right and I hate people that Pouch

Well I have done this before, I would come back the next day with a trash bag and clean it up.

Let Him go, That is if I don't know the person who owns the land.

That ones hard... If the land owner lives on the property I would go and ask if I could retrive my deer, if not I would get my deer and then let the land own what I did. I would take my chances, if The land own wants to call the police then he/she has every right to.

( Question: was the cow elk shot or just sick? )

1) If it was shot, I would wait to see if they need help with the elk and see if they have the right permit.

2) If it is sick, I would have to LET it be and when I get to a phone call the Local C.O. and tell him where the Elk is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good thread!

Situation #1. - Wouldn't be friends anymore, kick the s**t out of him, then explain what he just did to our national symbol and what I now have to do, which is report him. Have been hunting for 25 years and I'm sure that we all choose our hunting partners carefully. We need to teach and discuss ethics with our hunting friends, family, and kids long before we get out in the field.

Siuation #2 - Unfortunately, it happens all the time. I always carry a trash bag in my fanny pack. No one around for miles and getting dark? Turn on the headlamp, pick up and carry it out.

Situation #3 - Salute him. He wins this time, and I'll think about him all off season, and figure out where I need to set up to outsmart him next season.

Situation #4 - Depends. I've been in this situation before. If I know the landowner (I usually know the folks) I take the shot. If not, oh well, he outsmarted me this time, figure out a way to get him next year.

Situation #5 - No doubt, wouldn't want her to suffer, put her down. Would then go to the local authorities, let them know what I did, tell them where the cow is, and let them decide if they wanted to take my tag, pack her out, or leave her for the animals.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I wanted to change my answer to number three.

Must be the offseason, because my answer was not the answer a "*well-honed hunting machine" would give. (*thats me during the season):p:D

Depending upon what phase of the season we are in, I would blow a call at him. Trying to entice him to come back over the fence.

If it was fall bow, maybe a few social grunts. Permit bow, doe bleats with a few tending grunts thrown in. Winter bow, back to the social grunts. May not come back right away, but theres an hour left. He may circle, just hope I can spot him before he gets downwind!

Good answers guys! Except for that one. We're all slipping, nothing a few days in the woods wont cure though!;):)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts

I'd NEVER hunt with the idiot again, and would report him to the authorities.

I'd come back the next off hunting day (Sundays for now!?!?!?!??) and clean it up.

I'd laugh to myself, then yell to him to "Kiss my A$$, I'll be back for ya next time"!!!!!

I'd unload my weapon, case it if possible, and speak to the land owner about retrieving my deer. If no land owner was available to ask permission I would case my weapon, then proceed in blaze orange to the deer to field dress it and drag it out...If approached by the landowner at this point, I would discuss what happened and leave it up to him to let me walk, share the deer with him, or let him call the authorities.

I'd put the wounded animal down - period - I wouldn't think twice about it.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
ok now that i read all your guys stuff im gonna answer these questions TRUTHFULLY....

1) id prolly tell him he is a jerk off...not to do it when im around again

2) if i planning on comming back i would pick some up.. if i dont hunt it regularly id leave it for other people to do their part

3) IM GOING IN!! didnt get the name outlaw for no reason:D..doesnt make me a bad person. its not like its unethical to the animal...they are still in their "living room" not mine. its not like im shooting deer bedded under someones swingset. ill take my chanses.

4) need i answer?

5)shoot her....shes gonna die anyway, why suffer. and i hope you all do the same for me in that situation.. do to others what you want to be done to yourself i believe. i wouldnt want to be eaten alive by coyotes when i can easily be put down with a vital shot.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
1) I'd yell, hoot and hollar at him. It'd be a long time, if ever, I hunted with him again. But I wouldn't report him.

2) I'd curse the idiots that did it, but keep walking. I dont pick up other peoples trash. Lord knows whats in it.

3) He wins that day. I'll wait until our next encounter.

4) I'd go in unarmed and drag him back to the public land. Not going to chance some tree huggin anti making some kinda statement by not letting me retrieve him and then letting him rot.

5) Since I only have a Bull Tag, i'd put her down and keep walking. The scavengers will have an easy meal that night.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
1- real good fight right after he shoots, and then he would have to eat all of it, talons included.
2-definetely pick it up now or come back later.
3-well if he jump the fence is because he was on the side I was hunting on, he stops to look and laugh at me, i notice that there are no signs withing 10 feet of me, and I say to myself, that is not his deer, is a deer that belongs to all of us and I'm license to harvest him, he goes down, and being that in a few minutes I'm going to shoot him in situation #4 and I'm going in to get him anyway no matter what, well I gues you get my drift.
4- just read answer 3
5-Put her out of her misery, and stay there for about three days having a real good BBQ.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts