New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boaters be aware of 15% Ethanol Gas it VOIDS most outboard WARRANTIES. Check with your dealer and with your gas station.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Anyone know of a station where you can buy pure gas anymore? I run a 25 hp 2 stroke yamaha on my boat and I only use sunoco ultra and I also add seafoam to that. I havent had any problems since. I always wanted a bigger boat but I wouldent be able to afford the fuel for a bigger boat running it on that stuff, I can fish all day in my little boat and only burn 8 gallons.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Your best bet is to use up ethanol gas up in a short amount of time. I am in the habit of unplugging the fuel line at the motor and holding the plunger until it stalls out. It is a pain in the butt, but a lot cheaper than paying a mechanic or dealing with the consequences myself.

I use BLUE Stabil or Seafoam in every tankful right along with the procedure above.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Your best bet is to use up ethanol gas up in a short amount of time. I am in the habit of unplugging the fuel line at the motor and holding the plunger until it stalls out. It is a pain in the butt, but a lot cheaper than paying a mechanic or dealing with the consequences myself.
great practice but do not do it if the fuel you are using is not treated with stabil, the little bit of residual fuel will tarnish and fowl carbs up if not treated and left to sit in the bowl, spend a few bucks and put the ethanol treatment in every tank you will be just fine no need to use special gas or premium been having great sucess with just using the marine ethanol treatment and running it out of gas after flushing it

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
if the gas stations start using the 15 then you will be forced to buy gas at the marina most likely. The marina last year was about .10 more than on land

·
Registered
755 Posts
don't get too excited... even once it comes out, e15 won't be the only mixture available. it is only certified for 2001 and newer passenger vehicles... not any vehicle produced before 2001, nor any trucks, nor motorcycles, nor boats, nor lawnmowers, etc. so e10 or regular gas will still be available for a long time.

·
Registered
755 Posts
also, i can't believe you guys are all advocating snake oil gas treatments... i can't even count the number of carbureted engines i maintain... don't use any treatments in any of them... never had a problem. just run the thing every now and then and make sure that the fuel doesn't sit for too long. treatments = waste of money.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
great practice but do not do it if the fuel you are using is not treated with stabil, the little bit of residual fuel will tarnish and fowl carbs up if not treated and left to sit in the bowl,
I use BLUE Stabil or Seafoam in every tankful right along with the procedure above.
make sure that the fuel doesn't sit for too long
use up ethanol gas up in a short amount of time.

[spy]

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Ethanol Gas EATS GAS LINES!!! If you are using it and not treating you WILL BE REBUILDING carbs to remove gas line residue from them.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
so since i have my deck open and fuel lines exposed i should switch them out to ethanol approved lines?

how will i know if theyre ethanol friendly?

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
treatments = waste of money.
I call bull on that. I have been boating for years, and I can confirm that on a boat I had, my 1992 Johnson was having engine trouble frequently (bogging out mostly) until I started using StarTron ethanol treatment. Never had a hiccup again.

I use it with every fill up with my current outboard, Suzuki DT150. Cant say it makes a difference with this boat, since i have always used it in this motor, but for the few lousy dollars why the hell not !

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
How about motors that are fuel injected? Do they have the same problems as the engines with carbs
If you treat the gas you should not have a problem however I still replace lines EVERY YEAR and no longer have trouble. It is not worth taking a chance when you are out on the open water. New lines are not that expensive when compared to a tow back.

·
Registered
481 Posts
x7 i wasnt talking about you per say, i was pointing out that just running it out of gas does not get you in the clear in case someone was going to just do that and not treat the fuel just trying to pass that on to other small engine owners

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Blue stabil. End of discussion. Use it in all my engines from mowers to trimmers to blowers to snow blowers. Key is to buy your fuel, add stabil and try to consume that fuel within 1-3 months. Otherwise, dump in your truck. Enough detergents in gasoline.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
x7 i wasnt talking about you per say
No problem, pete. The JP Morgan school of screw it up to make em get it fixed or buy something else is at play with all this stuff.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
My boat sits for 5 months off season. With marine stabil added along with the startron when i fuel up, I have no problems starting it up come spring time . Its fuel Injected, not sure if thats why, versus carbs

1 - 20 of 24 Posts