New Jersey Hunters banner

Ethenol and outboards

1K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  DDS 
#1 ·
Boaters be aware of 15% Ethanol Gas it VOIDS most outboard WARRANTIES. Check with your dealer and with your gas station.

#3 ·
Anyone know of a station where you can buy pure gas anymore? I run a 25 hp 2 stroke yamaha on my boat and I only use sunoco ultra and I also add seafoam to that. I havent had any problems since. I always wanted a bigger boat but I wouldent be able to afford the fuel for a bigger boat running it on that stuff, I can fish all day in my little boat and only burn 8 gallons.

#5 ·
Your best bet is to use up ethanol gas up in a short amount of time. I am in the habit of unplugging the fuel line at the motor and holding the plunger until it stalls out. It is a pain in the butt, but a lot cheaper than paying a mechanic or dealing with the consequences myself.

I use BLUE Stabil or Seafoam in every tankful right along with the procedure above.

#6 ·
Your best bet is to use up ethanol gas up in a short amount of time. I am in the habit of unplugging the fuel line at the motor and holding the plunger until it stalls out. It is a pain in the butt, but a lot cheaper than paying a mechanic or dealing with the consequences myself.
great practice but do not do it if the fuel you are using is not treated with stabil, the little bit of residual fuel will tarnish and fowl carbs up if not treated and left to sit in the bowl, spend a few bucks and put the ethanol treatment in every tank you will be just fine no need to use special gas or premium been having great sucess with just using the marine ethanol treatment and running it out of gas after flushing it

#8 ·
don't get too excited... even once it comes out, e15 won't be the only mixture available. it is only certified for 2001 and newer passenger vehicles... not any vehicle produced before 2001, nor any trucks, nor motorcycles, nor boats, nor lawnmowers, etc. so e10 or regular gas will still be available for a long time.

#9 ·
also, i can't believe you guys are all advocating snake oil gas treatments... i can't even count the number of carbureted engines i maintain... don't use any treatments in any of them... never had a problem. just run the thing every now and then and make sure that the fuel doesn't sit for too long. treatments = waste of money.

#10 ·
great practice but do not do it if the fuel you are using is not treated with stabil, the little bit of residual fuel will tarnish and fowl carbs up if not treated and left to sit in the bowl,
I use BLUE Stabil or Seafoam in every tankful right along with the procedure above.
make sure that the fuel doesn't sit for too long
use up ethanol gas up in a short amount of time.

[spy]

#11 ·
Ethanol Gas EATS GAS LINES!!! If you are using it and not treating you WILL BE REBUILDING carbs to remove gas line residue from them.

#14 ·
treatments = waste of money.
I call bull on that. I have been boating for years, and I can confirm that on a boat I had, my 1992 Johnson was having engine trouble frequently (bogging out mostly) until I started using StarTron ethanol treatment. Never had a hiccup again.

I use it with every fill up with my current outboard, Suzuki DT150. Cant say it makes a difference with this boat, since i have always used it in this motor, but for the few lousy dollars why the hell not !

#16 ·
How about motors that are fuel injected? Do they have the same problems as the engines with carbs
If you treat the gas you should not have a problem however I still replace lines EVERY YEAR and no longer have trouble. It is not worth taking a chance when you are out on the open water. New lines are not that expensive when compared to a tow back.

#18 ·
Blue stabil. End of discussion. Use it in all my engines from mowers to trimmers to blowers to snow blowers. Key is to buy your fuel, add stabil and try to consume that fuel within 1-3 months. Otherwise, dump in your truck. Enough detergents in gasoline.

#21 ·
In my experience with small engines I have found stabilizers really are not worth the money. Gas by it's self right now is good for 3 months before to much water gets in it And the ethanol seporates fromthe gas. With treatment it will give you till 12 months. I find I always forget how old my gas is, so best net would be to drain and fill after each use. That's what I do to all of mine. And everything is still opporating just fine. Save you money for other things and take thAt little extra step that is 10x better then stabilizers to protect your investments

#23 ·
Its not the water that Ethenol gas is capable of trapping its the Ethenol content that is the problem. And not all gas stations are aware of the Ethenol content of their gas..What a joke!! And Ethenol does it eat gas lines as well as gas tanks, so checke for leaks.

#24 ·
Its not the water that Ethenol gas is capable of trapping its the Ethenol content
Yes sorry I didnt make that clear.
Its actually the pure ethanol thats the bad stuff, thats what happens with old gas.

1) the gas and ethanol separate, ethanol is has more density to it so it sinks to the bottom of the tank. This is normally the first stuff the engine sucks up, and seeing as ethanol burns hotter then gas, well its just tears apart your engine.

2) Ethanol in its pure form bonds to water, so after it has separated from your gas now you have water getting mixed in with your gas. This isn't to bad it will just make the engine run rough. But the bad part is whats left in your carb and engine. Normally the gas in these parts evaporates off over time and leaves behind the ethanol which in turn attracts water.

Not a good combination seeing as pure ethanol burns hot and water rusts stuff, basically you have ticking expensive repairs on the line.

Best bet even with stabilizers is to just run the engine dry. Leave what you want in the tank, but run the engine dry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.