New Jersey Hunters banner

Elevated deer blind build progress thread with pics

23K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  SJHunter350 
#1 ·
I figured I would share my progress on my deer blind build. The finished product will be 6x6' platform (estimated) 7 foot tall in the front 6'6" in the rear, pitched roof. Build on a 2x6" platform framed with 2x4'"s. All wood is pressure treated. The walls I haven't decided on yet. Probably will not be pressure treated, just primed and painted. I'm using elevator brackets to get a nice angle on the legs. Will be sitting on 4-10' 4x4"s. The 4x4"s will have cross bracing and bracing going around the bottom from post to post. I originally just used the bracing you see on the platform as just that, bracing. I now changed the bracing to be flush so I can anchor my 5/8" floor into it. FYI I'm not a carpenter and never did any real wood work before so any advice is appreciated. Don't mind the messy garage during this project ;). I'll edit and post more pictures as I go along.

Wood Plywood Trailer Table Furniture

6x6" platform

Wood Floor Hardwood Plywood Furniture

platform originally braced (now flush)

Wood Floor Table Wood stain Plywood

front framed out with shooting window. window will be horizontally split and hinged to allow a smaller opening for gun use and a large for bow (shooting standing up).

Automotive exterior Building Floor Car Metal

Just checking to make sure the front lines up ok before installing the floor (and admiring my work [hihi] )

Property Room Building Wall Furniture

Front and side tacked together to check fit. Pitch is a 6" drop to the rear.

See less See more
Reactions: zipper
#10 ·
The older I get, the more I think about stands like this. I'm wondering how the cost and time to build it compare with buying pre-made stands and platforms? We did one of the pre-made plastic stands up at our camp in PA and built the tower under it with pressure treated and it was a major PITA since we had to pull up the tower with a quad and cable and several strong backs. We should have just paid the Amish to build it for a few hundred bucks.

#15 ·
It's going to be assembled on site. Only tacked up in the pics

#17 · (Edited)
I ended up using PT 5/8" ply for the floor. The walls are T111 and the paint is Olympic latex paint. Paint isnt done. Going to spray some leaves on it and tree branches. The walls are being disassembled for transportation and once disassembled I'll trim the t111 off the top.

The front shooting window is so big for bow season. It will have a horizontally cut window for gun season so only half the window will need to be open

4 walls up
Furniture Room Door Bed Architecture

Floor in 5/8" PT Plywood
Wood Floor Plywood Hardwood Furniture

Started walls
Wall Property Room Furniture Wood

Paint and where the door will be
Property Room Wall Floor Interior design

Front shooting window and paint
Property Room Wall House Building

#22 ·
Hahah I hope the lazy boy will fit in there! It's going to be disassembled then reassembled on the platform. No crane lol just a truck and a trailer maybe a coople ladders

#24 ·
Here are some more pictures. It's pretty much complete minus a few odds and ends. The roof will be built once the stand is up.

The front widow Horizontally hinged
Room Furniture Wall Wood Floor

All taken back apart and painted. Waiting for it to dry then it will sit in the back yard for a couple days to rid it of the odor from the paint.. Then to the woods it goes
Room Property Interior design Building Basement

Painted some trees on it to break up the edges. (I clearly don't paint for a living).
Wall Door Glass Room Architecture

#25 ·
Looking good, when we built ours we used plexiglass for the windows that opened upwards so when raining it still kept the rain out like an awning. And if we kept close could still see out.
Might want to consider camo netting or something similar for the windows when open, they are going to get used to it being dark and a major difference when they are opened.
An all weather blind like this is awesome, gives you somewhere's to go even in bad weather! Good luck

#26 ·
Thanks brother. I plan on tacking burlap over the window for when it's open. I still havent decided what I'm doing to the inside yet... I definitely do NOT want to paint the whole inside... mostly because of the odor and because i dread painting. I was thinking felt or something along them lines. all black obv.

#27 ·
tree trimmed and platform up & braced! Gotta trim the ends on the bracing still.
Nature reserve Tree Jungle Plant community Forest

The pulley set up i attached to the tree using some life rope to haul this heavy MF up
Tree Bottle Plant Liqueur

#29 ·
thanks! If i put the flag on the roof it wont even be visible. I still have to have it there?

#31 ·
Maybe?? -- It is a blind -- not sure how they would handle an elevated blind legally -- a ground blind must display 200 square inches of hunter orange visible for 360 degrees during gun season - page 25 of compendium and it does specify "ground blind"

But do you want to get shot? How will someone else who's on the property know if you're in there? Trespasser or not

#32 ·
Yeah the roof isn't going to happen because it won't be visible anywhere. I planned on putting orange striping around the blind in a pin stripe manner. It would have to be a trespasser because this is my property. Either way It should be there

#33 ·
Yea it's fairly clear they are talking ground blinds since you will be in direct line of fire. being elevated I think you will be ok.
We don't have any orange or our blind and wardens have never said anything. I know a few, I will reach out to confirm.

Not sure where in SJ you are(I'm Elmer area and work in Galloway) and not looking for anything or trying to steal your spot but wanted to throw it out there if you need a hand getting it up there you can reach out to me. Just offering to help a fellow hunter and know it's going be tough getting it up there

#34 ·
Thanks man. I was thinking the same thing. Sure hope nobody attempts to shoot a deer 10' in the air. Thanks for the offer man. I'm going to see what I got myself into before asking for help though. I'm stubborn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.