New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I would share my progress on my deer blind build. The finished product will be 6x6' platform (estimated) 7 foot tall in the front 6'6" in the rear, pitched roof. Build on a 2x6" platform framed with 2x4'"s. All wood is pressure treated. The walls I haven't decided on yet. Probably will not be pressure treated, just primed and painted. I'm using elevator brackets to get a nice angle on the legs. Will be sitting on 4-10' 4x4"s. The 4x4"s will have cross bracing and bracing going around the bottom from post to post. I originally just used the bracing you see on the platform as just that, bracing. I now changed the bracing to be flush so I can anchor my 5/8" floor into it. FYI I'm not a carpenter and never did any real wood work before so any advice is appreciated. Don't mind the messy garage during this project ;). I'll edit and post more pictures as I go along.

platform 1.jpg
6x6" platform

platform framed.jpg
platform originally braced (now flush)

just front stick.jpg
front framed out with shooting window. window will be horizontally split and hinged to allow a smaller opening for gun use and a large for bow (shooting standing up).

front sick.jpg
Just checking to make sure the front lines up ok before installing the floor (and admiring my work [hihi] )

front and side wall stick.jpg
Front and side tacked together to check fit. Pitch is a 6" drop to the rear.

Reactions: zipper

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Looks nice. The pitch you have should be okay. I've helped put a few of these up, and none have had more than the pitch yours does, and we've not had an issue yet.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Looks good.

To limit any squeaks or creaks, I'd use a polyurethane based construction adhesive as opposed to Liquid Nails. Night and day difference and although the poly is more expensive, you can use much less as it expands so the price difference is immaterial.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
The older I get, the more I think about stands like this. I'm wondering how the cost and time to build it compare with buying pre-made stands and platforms? We did one of the pre-made plastic stands up at our camp in PA and built the tower under it with pressure treated and it was a major PITA since we had to pull up the tower with a quad and cable and several strong backs. We should have just paid the Amish to build it for a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how do you plan on lifting and setting the blind ?
The blind is only tacked together in the pictures. It'll be brought out on a truck/trailer and assembled on site in my back yard. the platform will be raised then it'll be assembled on location

I'm confused on the floor.what was the reason to do all that bracing vs. Floor joists on 16's?
the joists are spaced 24" so I wanted more to anchor my plywood down with to eliminate any squeaks before it is carpeted.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
looking at the height of the wall and your garage door it doesn't look like it's gonna go through the door.[rofl][rofl][rofl]

It's going to be assembled on site. Only tacked up in the pics

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Look good but would recomend 5/4 pressure treated decking its not that much for what you will need and works a lot better with squeaks and durability.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I ended up using PT 5/8" ply for the floor. The walls are T111 and the paint is Olympic latex paint. Paint isnt done. Going to spray some leaves on it and tree branches. The walls are being disassembled for transportation and once disassembled I'll trim the t111 off the top.

The front shooting window is so big for bow season. It will have a horizontally cut window for gun season so only half the window will need to be open

4 walls up
4 walls up no door.jpg

Floor in 5/8" PT Plywood
floor in.jpg

Started walls
started adding walls.jpg

Paint and where the door will be
more paint back door.jpg

Front shooting window and paint
more paint.jpg

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Damn looks good.Buiild it and they will come.Just one question,you got a crane?lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts