New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to this site, im sure this topic has been covered over and over again but im going to bring it up again. you guys noticing fewer does? think its working?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i havent noticed a thing. kinda got a feeling its doing nothing. if we can "bank a doe" for the permit, why couldnt you carry over your first doe if you dont get a buck in the first season? got to love jersey i guess

·
Registered
587 Posts
I know it is decreasing the population, just depends where one hunts. Depends how many does are taken after a specific hunter harvest there earn-a-doe.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Seeing lots of does and yearlings in residential non-hunting areas.

Ask the guys at the check stations - they'll give you a ballpark on what's been brought in.

·
Registered
876 Posts
There are way less deer in areas with ample hunter access, there's no doubt about that.

Of course the areas that have no hunter access still have too many deer. Doesn't matter how liberal the regs are, if you can't access property there will always be too many deer there.

·
Registered
607 Posts
As much as I hate to say it, it looks like it's working were I hunt. We are seeing more bucks and the quality of the bucks seems to be improving.

B

·
0 Posts
Im all for the earn a buck system or bank a doe, but what I don't like is the unlimited antlerless deer harvest NJ allows. I think there should be a limit on how many antlerless deer one can take, maybe 5 per year per hunter maybe more maybe less. Also I don't like this late season shotgun hunting, the season for firearms should end on December 31st of each year, then just have winter bow from January 1-31. The NJ deer herd is under alot of stress, and that doesn't help with antler growth, and healthlyness of them. Plus when you have late season hunts as we do, a hunter may harvest what he thinks is a antlerless deer , and it turns out to be a good buck who dropped his rack.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I agree with bhc. The permit shotgun is entirely too long. I hunt in 23 and across the road is 19 unlimited and they drive the hell out of it everyweek through the end and they just don't stay in 19 either. I have nothing against driving it is not for me though. I lost my first deer to a club when i was 14. I argued with 4 guys and had to give up to them. They state should limit the number of drivers and drives and area's on public land.But I guess that is why I have no problem heading to m [no swearing please] during shotgun wk. On the plus side there are less bowhunters in the woods in winterbow some would rather use a gun. Guess they never saw a working bait pile in jan. during daylight hrs.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
I also agree with BHC. The season ending in mid-Feb is way too long. I'll hunt the first Saturday in Jan. possibly the second but that is definitely it and will only shoot if I see antlers. I wouldn't want to take a buck that shed his antlers nor a doe with her belly swollen with twin fawns developing. A little bird hunting is great as the dog works good in cold weather.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I'll take hunting in Jan-Feb. on snow shoes any day. Not everyone owns a pair and those that don't are forced to stay home. I love the solitude. Makes you feel like you're Jedediah Smith or Jim Bridger.:)

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Need a coonskin cap or muskrat hat!

B

·
0 Posts
Enough is enough with this unlimited antlerless deer crap. The state has met the goals that they wanted, and if they haven't well that would be on lands that allows no hunting, then the state should maybe set fines to landowners that will not allow hunter access. If they keep allowing this type of hunting to go on, there will be a day soon that we will be lucky to see a deer. I'm all for taking antlerless deer, but when/where do you draw the line. I know guys that take 10 plus a year, there is in no way they eat it all, or even give it away. Also this state needs to stop the long shotgun hunting into Febuary, all gun hunting for deer should stop on December 31st of each year, winter bow from Jan.1st-31st, this will cut down on the stress of the herd

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Hey Jerseyhunter!

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I like how Cabelas puts "the hat" in the casual clothes section.

·
11,226 Posts
Also this state needs to stop the long shotgun hunting into Febuary, all gun hunting for deer should stop on December 31st of each year, winter bow from Jan.1st-31st, this will cut down on the stress of the herd
Well BHC you already know where I stand on this. I do most of my shot gunning in January and Feb so I would be totally against that and would fight it tooth and nail! I hunt zone 8 where you can pretty much kill at will and I still see a ton of deer every year! Groups of 5 or 6 bucks running together and herds of 15 or 20 deer at a time... The NJ deer herd is as large as it's ever been! The big difference is all the safety zones and no hunt areas!

·
11,226 Posts
Don't limit the days limit the deer you are allowed to take! I spend most of January searching for bucks. I don't shoot does even though I could on just about every day I'm out there! 2 bucks and 3 does per year! No matter how many different weapons you hunt with or permits you buy you can not take more then those 5 deer!

B

·
0 Posts
See I agree with what Jim has said with taking 5 deer in any combo, per year. If the herd lets say gets out of hand as far as numbers in a zone then, they can increase the harvest.

I hunt zone 4, your only allowed during the Regular bow season 2 deer, 1 can only be a buck, same as Fall bow, muzzleloader season 13 days long and same harvest as the bow, shotgun 2 bucks, winter bow same as the other bow season, and 1 day permit shotgun 1 deer either sex only, and you would think that I would see deer everywhere, well at one time I did see 30 plus deer a day during the bow season, these days I may see 10 per day. So the herd there is hurting also

1 - 20 of 56 Posts