New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to hunt this morning and had a day full of birds and chipmunks. Acorns flying everywhere along with the leaves. In the area I'm at this seemed to happen overnight. So I decided to get up and do some walking. I saw 2 things I've never seen this early, 2 scrapes fresh with licking branches twisted and all. And about a half a mile away from that a fresh rub not far from a line of last years. Anyone else out there catching this so early?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I haven't seen any fresh scrapes yet.

But it's not completely unusual to find them. Some may be "community scrapes" which can be active all year round.

And some "territorial" or "frustration" scrapes will start popping up now. They don't get checked and worked as religiously as primary breeding scrapes will though. So don't put too much focus on them.

The rublines are where I put my focus.

I have been seeing TONS of rubs too![up][up]

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I got a fresh scrape in my backyard and BUCK Shit in 2 spots in my yard. I haven't gone any further back in the woods to scope out other signs. But I am positive it is there. I seen this buck last week pulling in my driveway.

My house is in a somewhat highly residential area I only have a 200 foot strip of woods between my house and the house behind me But then the further you walk back the more woods you walk into. I am in Jackson off Frank Applegate. I counted 9 points on this buck looks to be more than what I counted. He looks to be about a 5 year old deer Maybe older.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
i was out yesterday afternoon and saw a buck running after a doe. The doe kept running, and the buck stopped right near my stand and gave me some good shots, but im holding out for a little bigger.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
yup they are scraping allready most likely the young small bucks ,but you never know[up]

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Hey Tom1276,

When he pulled in what was he driving [lol]

Seriously, be careful with specifics about buck locations.. not everyone is honorable.

Art

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
I'm seeing scrapes and huge rubs on my properties in PA. I have a pic of one rub on a tree that is about 14 inches wide from this season already. Cant wait till buck season opens :) NJ buck activity seems to be slow going so far. and most of buck activity has been mid day and at night. Here's a pic of one of the better rubs from one of my properties that my friend and I hunt in PA.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Found a few scrapes and new rubs behind my house.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
All the property is Private and surrounded by houses. Can't hunt anywhere near me. Unless you know somebody most of my neighbors would call the cops if they seen someone unusual entering the woods. Especially if they were wearing camo.

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
ive scene two or three rubs no scrapes yet try hunting the line of scrapes would proly pan out well

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
im seeing scrapes and fresh rubs on all the pieces i hunt

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
This week the bucks where really tearing up t
Trees. I saw 15 runs started in just a few days. Not one scrape yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts