New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a silly question but this will be my first year firearm hunting. Do you guys wear ear plugs during shotgun / ML season incase you get a shot?

I know its different in an open woods versus at the range, but its still ear damaging.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
i know its bad but i dont wear ear protection any time. im like half deaf. in school i have to sit in the front because i cant hear.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
As of now I don't. When I get my pup and join a pheasant club I am getting them. I may be wrong, but I don't think 1, 2, or 3 shots will be that damaging. But you get more shots when upland hunting. Wouldn't be a bad idea for that.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Dennis the only silly question's are the one's not asked...Now what kind of silly question is that..:D Just kidding , I don't when I'm in the woods..

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Not when I'm deer hunting. I figure one or two more shots cant do much more damage than is already done. Years of close quarter waterfowl hunting took their toll before I wised up. I plug my ears while waterfowl hunting every trip. If you dont want ringing in your ears thats loud enough to drown out summer crickets, you'll do the same. [sad]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Mack, you'll be deaf in no time.

·
Registered
751 Posts
WHAT? DID YOU SAY SOMETHING. Seriously. I am good about wearing hearing protection at the range but one or two shots deer hunting isn't something I worry about. I don't want to miss the sounds of the woods. From what I understand, some of the products they offer to help you hear game have some kind of limiter built in so loud sounds are filtered but lower db sounds are let through. Might be worth looking into for you. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always wear hearing protection at the range, but ive never had a shot in the woods yet, so I don't know what its like. I've fired my glock with .45acp out in the open with no hearing protection and heard the ringing for 3 days. So I can only imagine what a .50 cal muzzleloader can do.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Ring Ring Ring Is that the phone ringing ?
I wear ear plugs at the range ALL the time, but not while hunting. I've been thinking about trying those WALKER GAME EARS, but they are a little $$$$$$$

·
Registered
260 Posts
WALKERS GAME EARS THE WAY TO GO. THEY PROTECT YOUR EARS, AND IMPROVE YOUR HEARING. THEY PROTECT YOUR EARS FROM MUZZLE BLAST. I USE THEM DURING TURKEY HUNTING IN FLORIDA AND NJ. THEY REALLY IMPOVE YOUR HEARING IN THE WOODS. YOU ALWAYS WANT TO PROTECT YOUR EARS IF YOU CAN.

JOE

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Last year I picked up tinnitus (however the heck you spell it). This is after around 35 years of hunting and shooting. I got it at a range where you must shoot from inside a garage type building on a 100 yard range. My buddy who was in a rush fired his 3" slug gun without the ususal "all clear". I was talking to another guy and WHAMMO! My ears are still ringing. I have never had a problem prior to that. I ALWAYS wore hearing protection on the range, never while hunting.

The only good thing that came out of this is I can only hear around half of what my wife says;)

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I wear plugs at the range. I'm getting a pair of custom in-ear plugs that work like the 'game ear'.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts