New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here ever dura coat any of your own firearms?
If so is it easy? How did it come out? Would you do it again?
I would rather send out the parts but locally I am having trouble finding someone I trust to do it. I see they sell the kits for cheap. any input would be great.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
I have been duracoating for a year or so. I have done a lot my knives and some friend's knives and flashlights but no guns yet. Ill be duracoating a couple guns this spring though. The air brush that comes with the kit is crapo but gets teh job done. I would def spray 4-5 knifes or something that you wouldnt mind messing up just in case. It is a 12 parts duracoat 1 part hardener if I remember correctly.

I bought a pro level airbrush which works amazing.

The stuff just plain WORKS. if you spray it correctly, in the right temp and let it set up FULLY for 30 days (you can use it after 24 hours but not HARD use) it will work and look great for a longgggg time.[up]

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I am thinking about spraying one of my 1911's slide O.D. green. My wife wants a pink carry gun but all the pink guns are crap so I figured I could spray the slide on one she already has or maybe a nice new s&w..

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
ive done duracoat for a few years.its a good air dry finish. parts like slides are gonna wear off. duracoat will also add to thickness and will change tolerances so things like bolts and slides are gonna wear and cause clearance issues. to get the best durability you need to blast with aluminum oxide and or parkerize the gun to give the duracoat tooth to bite to. if you hand sand it will come out good but to me not the same durability. its easy to touch up though and is several steps above krylon but no miracle coating either. if you only have a a gun or 2 i recommend to send your stuff out to be cerakoted or birdsongs ultra coat finish.

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts