New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Stealth 1200 that I keep in the back of my truck at all times. It's great for just me. But I also have an Xpress HD18CC with a 90. Is that too big to set up with a boat blind and use as a duck boat?

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
I agree with Wing. Not a pond boat. :) The most you need for marshland would be a 12 footer. My old man and I have a 14ft smokercraft V hull we've used in the back bay and its handled the nastiest of weather.

Sounds like you've got a helluva fishing craft. Overkill for ducks. But hell, if its comfortable..... :D

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
It would be nice for the bay i have shot broadbills and buffleheads out of a silver 14ft v hull many times they arent the smartest ducks if you are running a nice spread you will be alright.
As for the ponds and lakes up north it will probly be to big.
Good Luck

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's got a 95" beam. Big. I would probably use it at Sawmill more than any other place, and I know the tide is a show there. It doesn't draw a whole lot, but alot more than the stealth 1200. It's just that it sucks trying to get 2 guys on the stealth.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pete it's 18' x 95".

·
Registered
260 Posts
I KNOW ALOT GUYS DOWN HERE IN FLORIDA THAT HAVE DUCK BOATS THAT SIZE WITH MUD MOTORS, BUT THEY HUNT LAKE O AND THE EVERGLADES. DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU HUNT IT IS NOT TO BIG.
I WILL BE OUT SATURDAY IN THE CANOE DUCK HUNTING

JOE

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
The only place I've duck hunted is the new Paulunskill property and that requires carrting your boat. If you can walk it 50-100yards it is worth it. Tons of ducks.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
What's the draft? Certainly you can use it in rivers and bays but the draft is important to know for low tide use.

As for puddle and river ducks, IMO if you are camoed, don't have an obvious profile (try setting up with sedges as a background), and have a good decoy spread you should be fine.

As for sea duck hunting - it doesn't really matter too much. As long as you're not too close to the spread they will come in.

That's been my experience.

Ant

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yes, I use an 18' Chincoteague Scow for the Delaware Bay and its tributaries. It has a 88hp Special Purpose Johnson on the stern. It carries hundreds of decoys(snows, canadas and ducks) I take plenty of gear and hunters. It looks like a small island. I also, run a 14' jon boat, 12'sneakbox and a old town predator canoe. How do you like the 1200 stealth. I was thinking about purchasing one for my boy. It's more stable then the canoe. But the canoe is fine for me and one plus dog. The dog listens better then most in the boats.

Till our trails cross,
Ryan

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Big boat can take lots a friends but also translates into hard to hide and then you have the water depth to consider. Diver ducks no problem in deeper water but puddle ducks forget it. Every boat has it place. Go to cabelas and get the marsh gr [no swearing please] and use that to hide her.I prefered sneak boxs when I was young with garvey tow boat.Killed many black ducks in the day at LBI all though lower bay.Big boats in blow out tides to the south translate staying the night sometimes or til tide rises so you can get out.

·
Registered
889 Posts
pete it's 18' x 95".
That sounds like it would be a little too big. There aren't many places at Sawmill where you would be able to hide it or not get it stuck in mud. Even my 16' jon gets stuck back there.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Pete;
I'm going to checks the ramps tomorrow to see if we can get in the water. What afternoon looks good for you?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.