New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People that know me, see this type of stuff posted on Facebook often. But I am working.....ok experimenting, on a salami recipe I can make with lean venison.

This was a test run with pork.
Salt, Blk Pepper, Dextrose, toasted and cracked fennel seed, garlic, red wine, Cure #2 and T-SPX starter culture.

Ground all through the coarse plate and stuffed into beef middles. Added netting when finished.

I put these in a 83F environment for 24 hours to get the PH down to a safe level.
Ready to come out.

I put these into my curing chamber and to get to @42% total weight loss. Chamber is running at 55F & 75% R/H.

I came back from my Texas hunt to find these finished. 44% weight loss.

Normally I would let these cool down in the refrig for a day or two before slicing, but I was anxious to see the results.

I'm happy with the texture and the flavor will be tweeked a little more. These will make some nice gifts for family and friends.

Working on the next batch now, this has a red pepper blend powder given to me by a friend at another forum. I also used 4lbs ground pork and 1lb of ground Elk for this next batch.

If it goes well, I'll probably bump up the game meat to pork ratio. We'll see what this looks like in another 3-4 weeks.
Thanks for looking.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to try some, next time you're down, swing by the restaurant.... Prettttyy please!!!!
I don't get down that way often, but I'll definitely let you know ahead of time when I do. I'll bring some homemade pepperoni too.

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
I would thoroughly enjoy that!
you are welcome to use my equipment and resources to experiment with your cured meats for a small fee ( piece of salami) lol.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Wow Sam I'm impressed and would love to learn how to do that how did you get started and what is your best source of info?
How was Texas?

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow Sam I'm impressed and would love to learn how to do that how did you get started and what is your best source of info?
How was Texas?
This is a great book to read on getting familiar with fermented sausage. It discussed Aw and PH levels that will make a safe and edible end product. There are some recipes in there as well.
http://www.amazon.com/Art-Making-Fe...=1418992430&sr=1-1&keywords=fermented+sausage

Texas was fun. I had to pass on a 135" 10 point because he was only 3.5 years old. I took a management doe for the outfitter and a javelina for a nice euro mount.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Looks great, obviously you know what you are doing. [up] Just my $.02, for what it's worth, and that is, I wouldn't go TOO heavy on the venison/elk : pork mixture. For some scientific reason that I can't explain, venison doesn't dry cure anywhere near as well as pork does. The 4:1 mix should be fine, I'm sure you can go as far as 50/50 with a little pork backfat added and still come up with a great product. Let us know how this batch turns out.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks great, obviously you know what you are doing. [up] Just my $.02, for what it's worth, and that is, I wouldn't go TOO heavy on the venison/elk : pork mixture. For some scientific reason that I can't explain, venison doesn't dry cure anywhere near as well as pork does. The 4:1 mix should be fine, I'm sure you can go as far as 50/50 with a little pork backfat added and still come up with a great product. Let us know how this batch turns out.
I agree with what you are saying.

I did find a blog though where someone made 70% venison with 30% cubed back fat Salami and it came out real nice. Pic's and all.
I'll PM you the link.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I see a retirement career in your future Sam [up]

Reactions: sam3

·
Registered
11,803 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Cacciatore (salami or dried sausage made from ground pork)

Literally means hunter and the folklore states that hunters used to carry this small salami in their pack and eat several pieces for sustenance during the hunt. Cacciatore is usually 6-7 inches in length and cured with the usual spices, wine, and herbs.

Pictured
4037785662_27b6f72953_o.jpg

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Damm that looks good

1 - 20 of 24 Posts