New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I'm a new bow hunter who's only hunted the muzzleloader and shotgun seasons in NJ. I'm looking for advice about what sort of clothes have been comfortable and effective for hunters in September and October in the Northern areas of the state.
Thanks for your time and best of luck out there!

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
It varies in the fall. You should have clothing that will allow you to draw a bow without interfering....some put a rubber band on the forearm of their bow arm. I am not sure of your budget. I highly recommend the following....2 pairs of rubber boots (med & heavy insulation), light and heavy longjohns (this is my go to....ulfrotte med & heavy weight wool. Its unreal warmth to weight ratio. chk out www.alexoutdoors.com) & I have a scentblocker fleece top & bottom outerwear. A hand muff with heat warmers...no gloves needed. Lastly, pack in large plastic zip lock bags with pine needle from a tree you clip & place in plastic tub. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
On warm days...especially afternoon hunts, I pack an uninsulated camo coverall in my pack, hike to the stand in shorts and a t-shirt, and before a climb up, I spray myself down with scent killer, put on the coveralls and climb up....then I spray myself again. On cooler morning hunts, I wear long pants instead of shorts, and carry a camo fleece that I'll put on overtop if I get chilly. I keep those same coveralls for most of Sept and oct. When it gets colder out, I add a layer of long jons under my pants and shirt, and when the temp dips into the 40's I have several sets of fleece pant/jacket combos that I use overtop my pants and long jons---all the while the camo coveralls become the top layer....eventually, when it his the 30's, I leave the uninsulated coveralls and home, and have a set of insulated camo coveralls that become the top layer for the rest of the season. In the early season I wear light weight gloves, but when it gets colder I change to fleece gloves, and use a hand muff with heat packs to keep my hands toasty. As for footwear, I have uninsulated boots for early season, insulated (1200 gram thinsulate) for mid season, and when the temp drops to the 20's I add a set of Cabela's boot blankets ($30.00) with heat packs inside for on stand hunting. When the temp is in the teens to single digits and I'm sitting stand, I also pack a heater vest...its a fleece vest with pockets sewn in for the heat pack toe warmers...that really takes the edge off and keeps you comfy. Its all about layers...but remember, you still have to be able to move

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I use light pair of coveralls ,sweatshirt for the cool mornings. Hat /w head net .Rubber boots . under armor camo gloves light ones .Watch the wind ,scent spray . I sweat for a good month before it cools down. thermacell for the bugs.

good luck

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
As far as keeping the bow string from hitting your sleeves, Before I throw out my old white socks I cut the leg part off and dye them green. They're free and fit perfectly like an arm guard. Also don't forget a Thermacell to fight of skeeters and Permethrin for the ticks. Good Luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.