New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plan was to meet my dad at the family property in Bucks County, PA at 6 AM. I leave my northern New Jersey home at 4 AM and arrive a little early at 5:30 AM. At this point I could have just walked to the tree stand. However, my dad is borrowing a friend's crossbow and cannot pull/ [no swearing please] it back by himself. So I just anxiously sit there in the dark waiting for him to arrive.

My dad finally shows up at 6 AM and I arm the crossbow for him. Time to head into the woods.

Instead of just walking directly to the tree stand (and possibly kicking up deer)... I tip toe along side the road that borders our property and cut in. I reach the top of the embankment (fairly steep 10 feet) and shine my flashlight into the woods towards the tree stand. I see a bright glowing tack in the woods. My first thought was that my Aunt Karen stuck a BriteEye in a tree to make it easier to find the treestand. I was wrong because it started to move. It was a deer! Oh well. It’s either a good sign or a bad sign.

I’m all set up in the tree stand by 6:15 AM. Around 6:35 AM I see a couple of deer move from the top of the woods down to the bottom of the creek at 50 yards. It’s still dark so they were nothing more than dark shapes, but I knew they were deer.

At 7:15 AM I see about four deer 50 yards away down at the bottom of the creek heading/browsing my way. Two of them are definitely doe. I am unable to determine the sex of the other two deer. Who cares? I need to get in position. All of the deer were in some semi thick stuff, but I can still see them. 7:20 AM a gust of wind blows through. Oh no. One of the does blows her nose once, but softly. Am I screwed? Not yet, until another gust of wind blows through and the doe starts blowing her nose really loud (and several times). All four deer run away from me. Oh well. That’s why it’s called hunting, not killing.

Fifteen minutes later two doe appear and start walking towards me at about 35 yards. At first I am a little pissed at myself because I did not see them sooner. But because it’s still a little thick I am able to prepare myself unnoticed. The deer get about 30 yards from me, but I want them closer. Besides they are walking my way anyway. Well sure enough they don’t keep coming my way and start walking to my dad’s stand (away from me).

At 8:00 AM I see buck come trotting across my field of view at 60 yards (left to right). All I can see is his beams. I have no idea how many points. He might be legal (in PA bucks must have at least three points on one side). He definitely is not a monster.

The buck gets behind some thick stuff and never comes out. What the heck? So I give a couple of grunts….nothing. So I give a couple of doe bleats… nothing. Oh well. He must have turned 90 degrees and headed up top away from me. Ten minutes later I see five doe appear from where I last saw the buck and they all walk away from me. Oh well. It was a beautiful fall morning.

It’s now around 8:30 AM and I decide to call my dad’s cell phone. We talk for a few minutes. I tell him what I saw… he tells me what he saw. Yes, I am a technology geek. I start exchanging several text messages with my Aunt Karen (she could not hunt because she was at work). I put the phone in my pocket and I just happen to glance in the opposite direction I’ve been watching all morning to find three doe browsing 25 yards under my tree stand! Holy crap! It’s like the deer just appeared from out of the ground!

I sloooooooooooowly get myself ready… cautious to not make any noise or fast movement. One doe walks closer to me within 20 yards. However, she is quartering towards me. I think to myself “Patience Kris”. I continue to observe. Finally the deer starts quartering away from me at 20 yards. I draw my bow. Relax, bend my knees a little, take my time, aim, and release an arrow.

Zap! The deer hunches her back and kicks out her back legs. I think I hit her. If I did hit the deer, the shot hit low behind the shoulder. The deer I think I hit runs 10 yards and stands still… looking. The other two deer are doing the same thing… just standing there looking. I just observe now. The deer I shot at then runs another 10 yards and stands still… looking while the other two deer remain motionless on full alert. Nuts. Did I miss? I am still just observing. Then the deer I hit runs back to her original position and stands still… looking. At this point I am relieved because I can see that her entire front leg is soaked/covered in blood. The deer I hit then lays down and starts to flip out on the ground for three seconds, gets up, and runs down to the bottom of the creek. The other two deer follow.

I wait in the treestand for at least an hour and twenty minutes. My dad tip toes over to my tree stand and we enjoy a cup of coffee. We walk over to where I shot the deer. Blood all over the place.

It’s a blood bath.

I also find my arrow… broadhead is covered in hair and blood. The shaft and fletching is also covered in blood and goo: complete p [no swearing please] through.

We found the deer 100 yards away from where I shot her. The arrow hit her low behind the shoulder and exited in front of the opposite shoulder.

When I field dressed her I pulled her heart out and it looked like the broadhead might have sliced the bottom of her heart. Or maybe the slice was from me field dressing her?

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Excellent Kris...Now I can take you up to my property, so we can hunt the monsters I have. Good Job!!!! [up]

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
well told recount of the hunt kris. Nice looking doe too, congrats.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Kris,
Congrats on a nice looking doe.

Ian,
Are we all invited on that trip to PA?

David

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
do you normally butcher them yourself or was it your first? last year was the first time i started to do them myself. i got 2 last year and 2 this year under my belt for butchering. it is easy. i started to buy the equipment; meat grinders, sausage stuffers, etc. it takes some time by yourself tho. till i get faster with it.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
NIce job Kris! What day was this? BH used?

Thanks,

-dan

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This was the first deer I butchered. I followed that video Double Lunger posted on here (no saws... just debone).

It didn't take too long. The hardest part is using the manual/crank meat grinder. Gotta get an electric one.

My only complaint is that I wish I did a better job getting more scrap meat off the neck.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Broadhead

-dan

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
"CONGRATS" on the deer Kris. We have Kitchen aid with the grinder attachment, works great, plus you can buy it for your wife for a present. ;););)[up][up][up]

1 - 20 of 55 Posts