New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys - I wanna try using scents, but am not sure where to start...for you guys that drag scents, is it as simple as putting scent on a rag on a string and dragging it on the ground.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
is it as simple as putting scent on a rag on a string and dragging it on the ground.
[up] Or on boot pads.
When you get to your tree just walk a figure 8 in front and up wind. The reason being they will follow the trail and eventually giving you the shot you want. You can also hang the boot pad or drag waist height in a sapling.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
There are 2 methods of dragging each has it own results intended. here is a shorten quickie from my talks
If you want to cover your trail and pick up a deer that may trail as it crosses your drag yes to your answer. just get a string and rag or holder and go in. I hook to my belt loop. put it on and go this is the method I tell most new users to do but I also tell them to come in on a quartering down wind or cross wind. I just do a j hook on the up wind but that is a lesson that most hunters have to learn on their own. also if you hang on the 8 or j make sure to hang on the 10 and 2 o'clock. and go easy so he can't stop short, best to hang where he can't see.

The other method is dragging a line intended to get a deer to follow you in. this is done by going to a known trail and running a line to your stand. this is a rut method mostly for most, and the WIND most be known. Ff you suck walking in the woods most likely will not work. best to sound like a deer or place out a good hour before you know the deer will be there.this Method is also used with calls on the down wind side, again laying 2 lines 50 yards long on the 5 and 7 o'clock quartering out.

leather is the best drag it holds the scent really well does not dry out as fast, and is heavier so it rides the ground better less tangle. Just keep in a baggie or film container.

As far as boots I do that. BUT[eek] it can add some excitement to your hunt that you may not want and I am not kidding. If in bear, cat, wolf or moose country do not put on your boots[eek] In Maine and PA. I still hunt and wear it on my boots and if you can walk in the woods, deer may back trail ya so always watch your back trail. here in jersey I have had deer trail me and walk up to me on the back trail in the thick with out me knowing it. the blowing has sent me into outer space a few time.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Scout your property. Find the does.

Each property has doe that come in early, mid and later during the breeding cycle, bucks know which deer will come in at what time...You should too...(the bucks will tell you).

Hang out near the does- they produce some pretty good scent for attracting bucks. So I've been told.

The less doe I see during the early season- the better. Mature bucks tend to stick to themselves until breeding activity picks up.

Once breeding picks up, I want to see doe on every hunt. Now, given the above, there really isn't much need for scent, because you've got the actual deer.

If you still choose to utilize scent- Buck Bomb has prooven to be rather reliable. Code blue has worked for me in the past. Stay away from that stupid foam that down wind scents put out, their scent suck.

Let me add. There is a pro and a con to Buck Bomb. I liked it because I didn't have to manually drag anything, prep a drag pad, descent a drag pad(of foreign odors), and so on.

Pads and drags put scent on the ground, buck bomb puts it in the air, and covers a wide area. However, you need to be really slick with where you use it, because if you pop it in the stand, any deer smelling the buck bomb, will smell you.

Utilize buck bomb in a cross wind and away from your stand. Basically, you're trying to hunt diagonally to where the deer will come from(scout !) and where your scent is.

Good luck.

·
Registered
362 Posts
leather is the best drag it holds the scent really well does not dry out as fast, and is heavier so it rides the ground better less tangle. Just keep in a baggie or film container.
How often do you clean the leather? Or do you just throw it away and use a new piece? Where do you get the leather from and doesn't it smell on it's own, maybe spooking the deer?

For boot pads...do you use a new one every day and throw out the old? Or use it for a few days and then throw out?

I bought a code blug drag...how do you clean that,?Let's say you've used for a week and you want to clean it and put fresh scent on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
If you keep scents separated and in a selaed plastic bag, just reuse them every time out. I wouldn't mix scent pads together. Keep them labeled and separated.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I use old boot tongs and wet them down with what ever scent I am using. but you can go to a arts and craft shop and buy it I like 2 inch wide by 3 long and taper the front edge so it hangs up less. 1st application I go real heavy meaning I spray it down in the baggie to where it is real wet. from that point on I just freshen it with a few pumps every time I use it. I prefer to use leather boots when deer hunting with trailing scent the problem is many time when squirrel and rabbit hunting I have had bucks trail me in. and every dog runs up to me and wants to pee on my leg LOL

Also what ever scent you use on a drag will fall into a cover scent category also. here's another 2 hour talk.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thanks for the info....when you hang in a tree (and when you attach to your belt for the walk in), how do you avoid getting your hand scent on the rope? Do you spray your hands with scent kill before touching the rope that the leather part hangs from?

Now I'm thinking if I'm dragging a scent, I should take the long way to my stand to increase chances that something will cross my path. Any credence to that?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I prefer to use leather boots when deer hunting with trailing scent
Why leather boots? All I hear is "wear rubber for scent control". You don't want to mix in your scent with deer lure do you? Just curious, I'm going to use scents religiously this year, instead of just once in a blue moon.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
I wouldn't worry about spraying your hands before applying the scent.
I use leather boots too. Never have a problem unless I'm walking through water in them.
Take the direct route to your stand. You don't want to take the deer round about before getting to you. Direct is best.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
DeerMaster[up]

All Rubber boots do is keep your feet dry.
think of what is happening every time you take a step. your foot is acting like a piston. as it moves in the boot the foot is pushing and pulling air in and out of the top of the boot. your odor is then dispersed on the trail.
Most of the good leather boots that are water proof act the same as rubber. air flow will be out the top but may reduce the air circulation because they are tied tight.
I like leather boots because the leather absorbs the scent. and once the scent is accepted into the leather it stays there. Your boots may smell but you don't use as much scent LOL a drag is better in bear country!!!!!!!!!!!!! bears climb trees

Human odor can not be taken out of the air. I wish that you guys that may have questions could have been to the talk last Saturday it covers all this stuff on scent and human odor. matter fact this part alone is 45 mins worth. so I will not get into it But

Human odor is or can be accepted by critters example farmers plowing a field. Me riding my horse, a jogger or biker, or even you when you are walking in the woods and you saw that deer laying there watching you walk by. the human is acting positive. now start sneaking and acting different and they are gone. the hunter added a neg.
When you drag a scent you actually do a couple of things 1st you make the deer trail the scent which takes it mind off of other things. Like you moving[rofl] it also acts as a cover although human odor can not be taken away it can be controlled, reduced and mixed into another smell to cause a allusion.
critters can not think of 2 things at once. it also can cause a curiosity and even in the amount applied can be a reducer. so what started out as a attractant has now fallen into 4 scent categories

I would take the straightest line to the stand. Although we have seen deer trail scents 300 yards most will loose interest it it is more that 100 and going in direction that the deer does not want to go unless in the rut.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I drag out spokes in a wheel with my stand as the hub. That is 100-200 yds out from my tree in 4-6 spokes. I refresh the drag each time I get back to my spot. The last time I did that I had a nice buck follow in the sent ( Wildlife Research doe in heat)like a bloodhound. This is tough to doe for a morning hunt I usually set out the spokes early in the afternoon.

I agree with the piston anology about rubber boots, but I think leather boots are even worse unless they are ScentLoc. Leather breaths out the foot odor through the porosity of the leather. Even if you soak the boots in buck lure you are still leaving human sent in your foot prints. It may be masked by the other scent, but it is still there. If rubber boots are high enough the released scent is airborne and disipates quickly.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
230:
Ever try the Wildlife Research Buck Nip?
I bought a bottle to try, but only used it twice, so no experience with it before I tagged out.

Was the WR doe in heat this year or rut of last year? Recommend it for the rut?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I gotta tell you. We did it tonight and worked great...but they come fast. I did it around my sons stand. Just 13 and his 3rd time out...he wasnt ready. Spooked um... I know it was the Scent. Dragged it crosswind and then around the stand out about 40 yds..Trails end

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
trails end 307 he said ,its like a curiosity scent [up]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts