New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one else encountered this? Our Golden Retriever is lactating but she has not had a litter. From what I (the Mrs.) have looked up and read on the web this is actually a common thing due to high hormones and not breeding after they get past the estrus period. Just found it odd, I even went on a search for puppies that I thought I might not know about...none found, thank goodness!

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Very common. Endorphines release the stimulus to produce milk, linings for placentas etc.. In the wild most animals are breed every heat cycle. Since we have domesticated dogs it is common in quality breeders to skip a cycle. Nature still runs it's course.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. the groomer called her vet and the one tech tried to say it's rare and that she might have dead fetus' in her. I called back and another tech told me it was common. They really need to get their crap together there!

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Is there any chance she was pregnant? The fetus theory is one that should be explored if she had any chance of being pregnant.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's in the house most of the time but haven't had any dogs in the yard that I've ever notice, or I would question that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts