New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the other hunters on state land, do your dogs sometimes get confused with the other dog handlers yelling commands to their dogs?
I am wondering if I should use commands in a different language.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't think so I was just curious.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Mike... I think it is more of a tone influenced thing and not the language...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Even on a WMA on Saturday morning, if you're so close to other guys and their dogs that your dog can clearly hear commands from other handlers, you should go home!

Seriously, though, if you also use the whistle for "here", "whoa", etc., you can make your whistle tone unique, so your dog will know it's meant for him.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
When I used to hunt state land I would hunt the first 1/2 hour without my dog. After the hunters spread out then I would take her out. I lot less confusion for the dog. With birds flushing, guys shooting etc..

Also, I try to not call to the dog much. When you communicate with the dog and calling out to her she knows exactly where you are therefore they can get a little out of range. If you are quiet for the most part, the dog comes back to check on where you are and therefore hunts closer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.