New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats every one feeding there dogs this time of year to keep weight on boy am i haveing a hard time 22%fat is the best feed i can find in my area down to running him one day a week hip bone are raely showing

·
Registered
34 Posts
My field trial dogs I feed ProPlan Cost 34.00 35lbs. bag
My young dogs I feed Purina Dog Chow 22% fat Cost 23.00 + - 50 lbs bag

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the last purina i got was only 16 unless they just chaged it. thats what i was useing i thought the dog was gonna drop dead on me[smoke]

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im useing profesional high energy made by joy 24.00 for 45 pounds at agway seem to help but i think im gonna try to mix in a little lard and see what happens

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pro plan high performance has the highest % of fat content out of all the purina feed witch is 20% and that dont cut it with my dog

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Canidae, High protein formula

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Feed him a larger serving or twice a day.
i keep his bowl full he only eats 2-1/2 cups aday right now he is 47 pounds come dec he will be back up to 55. And he looks good at 55

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
what kind of dog? have you had the dog checked for worms? 2-1/2 cups seems like it should be putting weight on

·
Registered
292 Posts
anything with 21% protein from BJ and 1 - 1 1/2 pounds of hamburger mixed with some rice.He loves it and is in great shape for a pointer.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no worm goes to the vet regulary just has free run and that what he does is run all day he's a llweellin

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
I have had the same problem with Attila, he eats belive it or not he eats 6 cups of Pro Plan chicken/rice and he just keeps the weight on! he also never quits tearing around the yard or quits playing and he's gonna be 5 this Dec.! He's right at 47 lbs about 5 or so pounds shy for a male Viszla.
He looks alittel thin but no overly so.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
he's a llweellin
Most Llewellin's run small and lean, it doesn't sound like a concern. For the summer months, I taper off the food but for the six months during hunting season, up it to two meals/day to maintain mine. I feed Purina Pro per their food-to-weight recommendations mixed with 1 1/2 lbs. of meat-ends daily. I split the feeding between morning and evening.

·
Registered
838 Posts
The only why I keep weight on my shorthair is to feed him table food. I was feeding the Purina Pro and I changed him over to the Purina Onethe one. The results are the same if I don't mix table food I start seeing a difference in weight. Lucky for me this nuckle head can eat anything and does not get the runs. My old short hair if I gave him table food he would get the runs.

My first shorthair was fed Nutros High energy. His weight was good but he passed away from cancer at 6 years old. I'm not blaming it on the food, but I just could not take a chance I guess it all in my head.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Purina Pro Plan High Performance and ½ lb of Pasta!!! I hunt 3 or 4 day a week then I up the pasta to 1 lb.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts