New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone on here get the 2 yearly shots for their dog? It's been a while since I had a hunting dog and when I was a kid we didn't get anything other than the rabies shot and maybe distemper?

We use frontline. I know that doesn't stop the tick bite just makes it so they don't hang around.

DG

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Not me. Since Gunnar is a weim, his hair is rather short and I will find ticks on him in a short amount of time (within 24 hours).
I do use Frontline and give him a monthly heartworm pill.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I get them they are inexpensive and every little bit helps. You never can have too much protection for your best pal in my opinion.

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
Your dog can still test positive for Lyme with the shot, mine did...[confused]

·
Registered
973 Posts
I just switch to Advantix II. Stuff seems really strong, so I hope its good for the dog...[confused] Frontline wasnt doing it for me, since he still brought them into the house. It only worked if the darn thing bits him.[wallmad]

·
Registered
35 Posts
If your dog tests positive for Lyme AND has been vaccinated correctly, the vaccine manufacturer will most likely pay for the testing and treatment. The new vaccines out there are really really good and I recommend them to all of my clients, hunting dogs or not.

Also, on tick prevention. I find that Frontline SUCKS for both ticks and fleas. Advantix is awesome (but don't use if you have cats in the house).

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I didn't think the vaccine will prevent the lyme infection. It will just help prevent the disease from attacking vital organs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The vaccines stimulate antibody production against Osp A and Osp C antigens. When your dog has a lyme positive tick attached for for more than 72 hours, the bacteria is transferred from tick to dog. The antibodies stimulated by the vaccine then attack the bacteria via a couple of different kinds of cells. So the vaccine won't prevent the transfer of the bacteria, but once in your dog, should promote the body to attack and kill the bacteria, rendering the infection undetectable on a normal dog side SNAP test (the thing they test for heartworms and tick born diseases with).

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Not me. Since Gunnar is a weim, his hair is rather short and I will find ticks on him in a short amount of time (within 24 hours).
Be careful. I never saw the tick that gave me, or the one gave my yellow lab, Lyme Disease.

Though they normally feed on mice in their early life stages when they are quite small ... a deer tick may get on you when you are disturbing the ground litter. As a dog might.

I have my dogs vaccinated against Lyme Disease each year. We live in some of the most deeply infested areas in the nation.

I also switched from Frontline to Advantix.

and I recommend them to all of my clients, hunting dogs or not.
Hi. Clients? Are you a vet?

Jim

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Your dog can still test positive for Lyme with the shot, mine did
my one lab the yellow got lymes at a year old.. he had been ok since but he cant hear too good..

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Snap tests will faintly show lymes if your dog has been exposed and treated before. I think it never gets fully out of the dogs system. Jerseychix is dead on about the vaccines Thats why vaccines also help if your dog has had lymes before. A little extra protection.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The SNAP tests are getting better about not detecting old infection, but they aren't perfect. You should ask your vet to run a tick titer if your dog is positive after a 30 day course of doxycycline. I found Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever in a dog after a tick titer, and it turns out his owner had it. RMSF has a mortality rate of TWENTY PERCENT in untreated humans.

Lyme is the canary in the coal mine if you will for other tick born diseases in humans and dogs!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
jerseychix said:
The SNAP tests are getting better about not detecting old infection, but they aren't perfect.
Coincidentally, my son took one of dogs to the veterinarian yesterday, for an annual visit.

I'm out of state right now, but my son scanned the receipt to me. The vet recommended, and asked for my son's permission, to perform this test: "Heartworm/Lyme/Ehrlichia/Anaplasn," @ $70.00

Is this something new? I don't remember this test beind done to my dogs in the past.

(I do like and trust the veterinarians in the office. Its just that I don't remember this test from past visits)

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
jersey

after my dog took all the strong antib's.. that was about 2 years ago. he has been ok since.. is there anything else i should do..? his hearing def. sucks, when we hunt sometime i wonder if he is just being a stubborn jerk or he really cant hear me... he is alittle "retard" anyway.he like a hot blonde. his brother is really smart..
they were going to be drug dogs with me,but i had to retire..Stoli would have never passed K-9 school.. his brother miller would have been great.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I actually had lymes and didn't know it. I went to the doctor after my one knee would swell up real bad. What are the symptoms with dogs? I have a gsp and ridgeback who constantly bring in ticks. They're easy to find most of the time but we've found a few that were latched on real good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The vet recommended, and asked for my son's permission, to perform this test: "Heartworm/Lyme/Ehrlichia/Anaplasn,"
This is the SNAP test or 4 way as we call it. It should be run every year and/or every time an unvaccinated for Lyme dog is ADR (ain't doin' right). Erlichiosis and anaplasmosis are other tick born diseases that infect white blood cells and cause bleeding disorders and kidney failure respectively. If this test turns positive, tick titers need to be run by a big commercial lab.

his hearing def. sucks
Hearing test in dogs (this is a little mean sorry!) Sneak up on your dog and clap your hands as loud as you can. If he jerks his head, he can hear and any problems are behavioral/he's ignoring you!

What are the symptoms with dogs?
What we call "shifting leg lameness" or one morning he's lame on his right front, next, it is his back left. That's the most common. Kidney failure (Lyme nephritis it's called) is next. Your dog will drink gallons of water and pee everywhere. Sometimes hard to detect in an intact male though, they pee everywhere anyway. And other more subtle signs of sluggishness or just not right.

A tick has to be attached for 72 hours to pass most tick borne illnesses. So a flea/tick application is absolutely necessary. There are really good collars available at your vet (Preventic is the most common) available at the vet for dogs that are tick magnets.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts