New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1 1/2 yr old Lab. I currently feed her Blue Buffalo - Large Breed Adult- Chicken & Brown Rice. I pay $50 for 30 lbs. That lasts me about a month. Dog seems very healthy and maintains a good weight, but I'm at $600/year on dog food alone. What is everyone else feeding their Hunting Dogs? Any suggestions for alternatives ? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
My dogs have always eaten Purina. Puppy chow for the first year and then adult food there after. My current lab is still on the large breed puppy chow. I know it's not a premium dog food but it's what I can afford and he likes it fine. I never had any weight issues with my dogs or health issues that I could attribute to the food. I can't really say anything bad about it. Every now and then as a treat I'll feed him raw deer meat or bird meat[tasty] Usually what ever scraps I have that I can't do much with. Whatever you decide on, make sure you mix foods and gradually work her onto the new stuff to prevent stomach upset.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I use the blue buffaloe also but I mix it with purina one because it has a higher fat content. I have a GSP and she eats 3 1/2 cups a day and on hunting days I give her a an extra 1 1/2cups. She still only ways 38lbs. I feel your pain I spend 750 a yr on dog food for her.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Eukanuba large breed for my lab. Dogs are like gun barrels and do well with certain brands and not so good with others. If it works for your dog then don't change it. Being a responsible pet owner is going to cost you for dog food, vet bills ect... Would you want your child to have inadequate food because it's cheaper. If its not broke.. Don't fix it.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
$600 and year is cheap to feed a dog for a year.What does it cost you to feed yourself for a year,think about it?What would you rather do feed it the right ,healthy food if give it to a vet?There are other Holistic foods out there but that price is just about middle of the road.That's your best bud there take care of him and you'll have him for many wonderful years

http://www.dogfoodscoop.com/

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not the price that I was curious about as much as seeing what other are feeding their hunting dogs, and if I was feeding correctly with the Blue Buffalo. Most people who I ask what type of food they use, the answer is seldom Blue Buffalo.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
I feed my lab California Natural or Nutro lamb and rice(chicken was giving him soft stools)-40 lbs is about $50 for either and we occasionally catch coupons and sales. I also try to supplement with raw/natural food as much as possible-whenever we make dinner we just set aside uncooked and unseasoned veggies, meat, or whatever else for him. He loves most fruits and vegetables, eggs (shell and all), sweet potatoes, and of course venison.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I also feed my dog Blue Buffalo Wilderness dry dog food. He's a 3 year old Lab/Great Dane mix. He loves the food and seems extremely healthy. He seems to be getting more energetic with age! I made the switch to this food about a year, year and half ago. Within a couple months his coat started to shine like never before. I feed him 4 cups a day and he's maintained the same healthy weight, about 90lbs. It is fairly expensive, $53 at Petsmart, but I think its worth it.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
So I work with alot of dog breeders, hunting dogs breeder. Well one of them pointed out to me Sams club generic dog food is exactly the same as this other $80/50lb brands and she uses it on all her hunting dogs.

We switched our dog over to this stuff and no complaints lots of energy and not a lot of fat building up. Also its cheaper if I remember right $30/50lb. I don't live near one so we buy 200lb at a time so it can last a few months.

A dog should get 1 cup of food per 10 pounds of dog total per day. A working dog should get 1.5-2 cups of food total per day. Now this is just the general req for dogs every dog will be a little different. But its a place to start. If you feed to much its a waist because they just crap out the extra, and to little makes them sick so you have to find that sweat middle spot.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.