New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my stuff ready for the opening day and I notice my stand cushion, backpack, some clothes, etc. have this "peculiar odor". I smelled it last year and chalked it up to field odor. But even when you apply a scent killer it still shows up. Anyone else have it?[confused]

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Wash what you can. Spray what you can't.
Store or cover with leaves, compost, pine needles what you can. Air outside for a few days what you can't.
Good luck Saturday teamate...

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
I kept my stuff outside for the last two weeks 24/7, no problemo[up] Put them out tonight and Let them get rained on and throw them in the dryer friday night without any scented wipes or lint deals or whatever they are:D

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of smell?
I can't describe. Not bad, not sweet or nice...just kind of "stale" like hay or straw. Some guys have described an odor coming from their scent lok clothes after they activate them. It's similar to that.

I'm not too concerned. I'm covering with anise oil, a licorice smell, which is an old time curiousity attractant. Hey if it worked for Grandpa it should work for me![up]

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
has it been inside all year and have you kept it outside for a few days?
It's been inside BUT, I had the smell last year as well. Let's put it this way, I bought a brand new Summit Stand last year, sprayed it down w/scent eiminator (Hunter's Specialties). Everytime since, it's had the same smell.[confused]

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Sometimes some of these eliminators or covers contain some degree of ammonia or some derivitive of it. It could be a left over "stale" scent.
That's why I use a lot of compost, pine, leaves etc from outside where possible. More natural.
if it stops raining you should take it outside and "bury" (cover) it with the leaves, compost, pine, etc. eventually the smell should fade.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
THAT my friend, is the smell of OPENING DAY [rofl]

i love it! its like a moldy, mildewy smell, i get a whif when i open up my bowcase! LOL

mold is everywhere in the woods, so its like cover scent... i leave it, the deer arent bothered

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
you keep them in a basement with some moisture? i had this problem once all my stuff is upstairs now. My gear is outside in a scentlok bag with a dozen apples mixed in.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
my clothes always smell a little after the off season. mostly old snotty tissues from january, sometimes a rotten apple in the backpack. many varieties of the "what the heck is that smell"

i scent free wash everything then hang in the woods for two weeks before the season.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
On a more serious note--I've always washed out my clothes several weeks before the season, applied fresh PERMANONE (still do it, even with Thermacel) and then put in an airtight containers with HS earth scent discs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.