New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curios. I clean mine with soap and water. I have been using bore butter, but that crap has caused me a slow burn when shooting at a buck a few seasons ago. I do remember the guy at the hunter safety course saying thats all he used. Just a light coat on a patch down the barrel.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
tc bore cleaner for me. I have seen guys use everything from windex to wd 40. If you shoot blackhorn 209 powder you can use regular gun cleaning stuff.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I clean them with soap and water. Once cleaned, I use WD-40 to coat the entire gun and then swab it out until dry. Never had a missfire, hangfire or any rust and I have been doing it for over 20 years.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Bore-Butter is only good for lubing patches and conicals.

WD-40 is a water displacer, not designed to clean, lubricate or protect metals. Use a good synthetic gun oil to lube all your guns.

I clean my flintlocks with cool tap water, last thing I do is pour a little alcohol down the barrel to displace the water and dump, couple dry patches, lubed patch and I'm done.

I do use WD-40 but that is just to spray down the wet lock to get the water out, then a quick dry and a spray with Rem-Oil.

Takes me 15 to 20 minutes to clean the entire rifle.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i was told years ago that WD-40 is not good for gun bluing and should only be used to help remove water.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I use it on my shotgun as just a wipe down to get any water off of it. A friend of mine though uses WD40 and 3InOne to clean, 3 in one for lube and cleaning and WD40 to get any water off his guns. Been doing it for 10+ years and they all work fine.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Bore butter will dry out and cake in the barrel. For blackpowder I use hot tap water and then when dry I run a patch of breakfree clp and wipe gun down with a rag and clp. For blackhorn I've been using a product called gunzilla, it's also a clp. The stuff dissolves any blackhorn residue quickly.

There was an article a few years ago that tested a bunch of oils on how well they prevent rust, I think wd40 was the worst one out of the ones they tested.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have had WD40 take the blueing off. I use Ballistal to disperse water. Black powder is cleaned with hot water then sprayed with Rem Oil.

For lube I use remington oil for my locks and remington grease for my other stuff.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Hoppes for me to clean inside barrel. Might use brake cleaner to clean threads of breech plug and dry wipe the outside barrel and stock. Then lube threads of plug and put back on.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
WD40 cost me 30 days in the Pearl Harbor brig!! I found out the hard way that it doesn't protect metal (as in an M-14) and the Corps took a very dim view of a young Marine with a rusty rifle. I won't have the crap in my house..

Art

·
Registered
275 Posts
WD-40 is a water displacer, not designed to clean, lubricate or protect metals
yup its just a penetrant, not a lubricant.i use rem oil for all my guns as a lubricant, and hoppes #9 for cleaning and fouling and whatnot.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Between hunts. I clean with soap and water, dry ,a few strokes with a patch with borebutter, Then a dry patch once.

Season over - clean with soap and water, dry, Then a patch using rem oil. Store gun, barrel down so if to much oil it won't run down and foul the breach plug.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Best way to be sure oil is clear is to snap a cap or primer in an empty barrel before loading. Obviously this is best done at home and not 4 AM in the field.

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
Best way to be sure oil is clear is to snap a cap or primer in an empty barrel before loading. Obviously this is best done at home and not 4 AM in the field.
Better yet pop one off in the bedroom and the wife will be up to make you breakfast [hihi]

·
Registered
637 Posts
I don't know about that there Stevo .... my wife is up to take care of me and then cook a big breakfast for me and the kid, pack lunch and coffee, and always has a nice supper cooking when we get home. Guess I'm just lucky .... she says is it fair trade for a quite "Mom's" day with the house to herself.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts