New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People tell me that 30 years ago you could take almost any major highway out and you had miles and miles of hunting land. No mcmansions and the such. sometimes nj disgusts me. any thoughts?

·
11,226 Posts
Those good old days are gone for sure but these days aren't so bad! There is still plenty of land to take advantage of in NJ and more of it is being protected against developement all the time! It could be worse! It was better!!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
YEAH WHEN I WAS A TEENAGER WE WOULD GO HUNT AFTER SCHOOL. WE WOULD JUST GO BEHIND PEOPLE'S HOUSE'S THEY NEVER CARED. ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS GIVE THEM A COUPLE RABBITS AND THAT WAS YOUR PAYMENT. MY SON IS NEVER GOING TO SEE THOSE DAYS. NOW I HAVE TO EITHER FIGHT THE CROWDS OF PUBLIC LAND OR SPEND THOUSANDS. DOWN HERE IN FLORIDA EVERYTHING IS BECOMING A LEASE. IT GETS REAL EXPENSIVE.

JOE

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Hell...I could remember when I was like 12 or 13, my Father would take me hunting, and every time we went he would say" I remember when all this was farm land and we hunted all over here", That was every time we went out to hunt. Now I drive past all the places he used to take me and I say the same damn thing, there is nothing but houses, business' and anything else they can fit into open space.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
More land is being protected and also taken away from Hunting. I lost another piece of property in NY last year to a County Park. This property was so good that I could wait for a buck that had a minimun of 6 pts. and was out of the woods by 9 AM on opening day.

Property taken over by Green Acres usually means NO HUNTING.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Joe(swamphunter) its the same everywhere. i was born and raised on staten island. so were my parents. all the farms are LOOOOng gone. all the stables,Gone.when i was a kid , my brothers and me used to bowhunt anywhere. now you get arrested if you tried what we used to do.

·
Registered
282 Posts
MarkMartinFan, i know a place in tuxedo wher you can hunt. im going on Friday. place is called sterling forrest. get the permit , its free and i found a couple decent spots.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Like Jim said there is still plenty of places to hunt. One of my main places to hunt in zone 4 I have been hunting on and off since 1966.

Some places have been lost though. The spot where I got my 1st deer is now a parking lot for a Wm Paterson College dorm. In fact that whole High Mountain area in Wayne, Haledon, North Haledon & Franklyn Lakes cannot be hunted anymore due to municipal no discharge laws and limited access.There is also a place in Towaco I hunted in the '60's that is gone forever.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I'm 50 years old - do I remember the good ol' days, heck, I'm a walking good ol' day!

I think the above posts cover how things were years ago. There was a lot more land in central New Jersey, a lot more (small) game, a lot less people, a lot less politics surrounding hunting, and more of a hunting culture in the state.

Ant

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Currently Offline Posts: 195
MarkMartinFan, i know a place in tuxedo wher you can hunt. im going on Friday. place is called sterling forrest. get the permit , its free and i found a couple decent spots.
Sterling forest is a perfect example of things being better in the good old days. NYS took it over in the '90's. Before it was owned by a private corporation. You had to pay for the permit then, but there were no gates on the logging roads. If your vehicle could make it you could drive anywhere. Now that NYS runs it the permit is free, but access is restricted and there are a bunch of stupid rules. One is no firearm hunting before 11/1. This chops of a substaintial part of the fall turkey season. Sterling Forest is still pretty big even after they sold off the tract in NJ to Passaic County. The problem is it only gets hunted on the perimeter near where hunters can park. There are some good bucks way deep in the woods, but good luck dragging them 2-3 miles in that rough terrain. I took a monster buck there in '86. I was younger then and in really good shape. I still had tremendous difficulty getting it to my truck in the rough terrain. This when I could drive to a 1/4 mile of where I shot the deer.

You no longer can drive to Ceder Pond to bring a boat for waterfowl hunting or fishing.

I still hunt small game there. I quit deer hunting there about 2 years ago. Every year I get my permit & small game NYS license to hunt turkeys ; pheasant( they stock once usually by the sand pit)and predators starting 11/1. I also still do some waterfowl hunting there. Between 11/1 and the opening of deer season if I find some good deer sign I will then purchase my NYS big game license.

By the way last year I found some bear sign for the 1st time ever on that property. Two years ago some guy shot a bear somewhere off 17A.

The bottom line is it is nothing like it was in the '80's.

·
Registered
31 Posts
HOCKEY STICKS, I HUNTED STERLING FOREST WHEN I WAS 17 YEARS OLD, MY FRIEND AND I WERE ALL OVER THAT AREA AND FROM WHAT WE SAW OR I SHOULD SAY DIDN'T SEE FOR THE AMOUNT OF PROPERTY WE COVERED WAS SAD TO SAY THE LEAST. ACCESS WAS LIMITED TO THE LAND AND THE TERRAIN WAS ROUGH. TO FIND A RUB OR DROPPING WAS LIKE HITTING THE LOTTERY. WE SAY SOME DEER, NOT ALOT.I'M NOT SURE IF THINGS CHANGED BUT IF THEY DID ITS NOT FOR THE BEST INTEREST FOR US HUNTERS. THE BEST OF LUCK TO YOU IF YOU HUNT IT, BUY A GOOD PAIR OF HIKING BOOTS.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
If we really want to go back I still have my 1966 NJ hunting license. It is actually a hunting and trapping license; the tag is a "deer or bear" tag and it cost $4.15.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Currently Offline Posts: 20
HOCKEY STICKS, I HUNTED STERLING FOREST WHEN I WAS 17 YEARS OLD, MY FRIEND AND I WERE ALL OVER THAT AREA AND FROM WHAT WE SAW OR I SHOULD SAY DIDN'T SEE FOR THE AMOUNT OF PROPERTY WE COVERED WAS SAD TO SAY THE LEAST. ACCESS WAS LIMITED TO THE LAND AND THE TERRAIN WAS ROUGH. TO FIND A RUB OR DROPPING WAS LIKE HITTING THE LOTTERY. WE SAY SOME DEER, NOT ALOT.I'M NOT SURE IF THINGS CHANGED BUT IF THEY DID ITS NOT FOR THE BEST INTEREST FOR US HUNTERS. THE BEST OF LUCK TO YOU IF YOU HUNT IT, BUY A GOOD PAIR OF HIKING BOOTS.
I did take a decent 7 pointer out of there in 2002. Sort of. When the NY & NJ seasons overlap you can cross the state line as long as you have both licenses and use a gun legal in NJ. I actually got the 7 pointer in the Wanaque WMA in NJ, but parked in SF by Bailey Rocks.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Currently Online Posts: 223
Quote:

Currently Offline Posts: 195

Sterling forest is a perfect example of things being better in the good old days. NYS took it over in the '90's. Before it was owned by a private corporation. You had to pay for the permit then, but there were no gates on the logging roads. If your vehicle could make it you could drive anywhere. Now that NYS runs it the permit is free, but access is restricted and there are a bunch of stupid rules. One is no firearm hunting before 11/1. This chops of a substaintial part of the fall turkey season. Sterling Forest is still pretty big even after they sold off the tract in NJ to Passaic County. The problem is it only gets hunted on the perimeter near where hunters can park. There are some good bucks way deep in the woods, but good luck dragging them 2-3 miles in that rough terrain. I took a monster buck there in '86. I was younger then and in really good shape. I still had tremendous difficulty getting it to my truck in the rough terrain. This when I could drive to a 1/4 mile of where I shot the deer.

You no longer can drive to Ceder Pond to bring a boat for waterfowl hunting or fishing.

I still hunt small game there. I quit deer hunting there about 2 years ago. Every year I get my permit & small game NYS license to hunt turkeys ; pheasant( they stock once usually by the sand pit)and predators starting 11/1. I also still do some waterfowl hunting there. Between 11/1 and the opening of deer season if I find some good deer sign I will then purchase my NYS big game license.

By the way last year I found some bear sign for the 1st time ever on that property. Two years ago some guy shot a bear somewhere off 17A.
P.S. I have found a reasonable amount of deer sign there in Jan & Feb. Unfortunaltly NYS doesn't have a winter bow season.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts