New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think more people talk hunting then actually hunt. I have more gear, dogs, atv, boats, etc. So people can hunt with me. They all are successful when we go, but they all are so busy that it take 20 calls to get 1 togo. I hear all the excuses " it's cold, it's going to rain, I have to work(to pay for the boat I can't use). What has happened to all the sportsman out there. my 10 yr old and me went crow hunting Sat. and smoked 50+ lots of fun oh yea and shells.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
I hear you wild work. It's about "recreational"priorities and whats important to the person. I'd rather be outside walking, running, hiking, fishing, hunting, or at the range than inside watching television.

Now of course family comes before hunting...

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
JerseyJim & I hooked up for the bunny hunt using this website. Other wise...we both have probably NOT hunted on Saturday (which was a glorious day to be outside).

JerseyJim took the daily limit... I goose egged. Oh well... I was awesome anyway! [up]

·
11,226 Posts
I have a wife with 4 young kids, An ex-wife with one child (support), A hardwood flooring company and I'm a real estate investor. Busy,busy,busy! I can't just pick up any time I want to go but given some notice I can get out quite a bit! 1/2 day hunts are great for me so I can get other things done in the other 1/2! When it comes to choosing between going hunting alone or spending time with the family 99 out of 100 times the family wins! I can't wait until they hunt then I get the best of both worlds!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's the way life is now. I have 2 stepchildren (12 girl and 18 boy) + my son from a previous life. He's 10 and the joy of my life. And I don't bitch about the $165+ child support. I'm a union carpenter and take off about 3-5 months per year. All my kids have been going with me At age 5 except the stepson. He has always gone. He is in Coast Guard Boot Camp now. Make there day enjoyable, pond fishing for sunnies with crickets or crow hunting in nice weather. Don't be an ego parent that trys to hurry there kids to big game. You are building a foundation. 1 brick at a time. Youths in the outdoors is another post.

Till our trails cross,

WW

·
11,226 Posts
I hear ya Wild! I take all my kids pond fishing for blue gill and bass. (except my oldest who lives with my ex in Vegas) They don't care about tropies! They get so excited just getting a fish on the line! I haven't taken any of them out hunting with me yet. The oldest here with me is 5 and I will take her out squirrel hunting with me next season. She is dying to go! After that I have 3 boy's 4,3 and 1.5... My oldest son will be 5 next year so I will Probably get him out squirrel hunting with me also! I can't wait!

·
11,226 Posts
This past year was crazy for me as far as work went! I had some goals I needed to reach so some long work weeks took up a ton of my time! This year should be better now that I reached those goals. More time outside is on the menu for this year for sure!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd love to get out more. I just bought a house near Oldwick and there's lots'a work to be done. It kills me to be painting or grouting tile when the weather's nice !

Does anyone know anythig about a "New Jersey Sportsmens Coalition" ? It looks like there's a couple hundred acres of woods on the property owned by MERCK & Co in Raritan Township that's either leased or managed by them. It'd be a real treat to just take the Mossberg and walk down the road to hunt....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts