New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about a week and a half ago I shot this doe broadside at about 20 yards. Thought I made a good heart shot on her and the arrow looked like it had decent blood on it after I got down. She ran maybe 30-40 yards then stopped and walked in circles a few times then slowly walked off with the other deer. I could see blood dripping down her as she walked off. I was actually waiting for her to drop any second. So I backed out and went back a couple hours later and started tracking. Great blood with bubbles in it for the 1st 75 yards or so, then decent blood, eventually down to a drop every 5 or 10 yards. Blood finally petered out completely. I went back the next morning in daylight and spent 3 hours scouring every inch of that woods - nothing. I was really bummed, I hate to lose an animal I have shot - started looking for turkey buzzards but never saw any.

So about a week later I get this picture on my camera and my jaw hits the floor.

Check out the hole behind her front leg (entry wound). So after looking at the picture I am thinking that maybe I hit her too low from too much of an angle and the arrow didn't hit any vitals. Anyway, I was determined to see her again and finish the job in case she was suffering. The next evening she was the 1st deer to come in and after a long wait for her to give me a broadside shot, I closed the deal. She didn't go 30 yards this time and piled up. When I walked up to her I saw this, and again my jaw hit the floor.

This is the exit wound on the other side of the deer from the 1st time I shot her. When I dressed her out, she had a hole in her lungs from that 1st arrow and dark black nasty blood all around it. The entry and exit wounds actually looked like they were starting to heal up. Unreal. No idea how she survived and was walking around like nothing was wrong with her, but I'm glad she made a 2nd appearance and I was able to close the deal. Weighed 110 lbs dressed out.

·
Registered
12,709 Posts
Out of the same stand? Gotta be the dumbest deer in NJ.

They are tuff animals but what the hell, Double lung and she survived? Deerzilla lol.

Glad you got her. Beautiful deer. [up]

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
[up] I still believe that most unrecovered deer do survive. Most people think they go off and die. I saw a thread on AT about strange thinks people find in deer when they are getting butchered. You would not believe how many broadheads, bullets, and buckshot people find.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
That shot is too low for lungs, looks like it passed through the bottom of the rib cage, if it even got into the ribs. I've hit two deer just like that and they both survived to be killed later. The arrow never got into the rib cage and passed just below it, inflicting a non-fatal hit both times.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That shot is too low for lungs, looks like it passed through the bottom of the rib cage
Def went through the ribcage... verified that when we butchered her yesterday. Like I said in the original post, it definitely hit lung.

I'd look into some new broadheads after that..
Using Rage 2 blades. First issue I ever had with them, if you want to even call it an issue. It was a full passthru and hit lung. And I didn't say the holes were small, just that they looked like they were healing up. :)

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
I believe you could have sliced the lung with the first shot but entering that low ..unless you were shooting from below the deer your not gonna hit two lungs unless the arrow changed course which can happen.

Depending on the severity of the hit lung and heart hit deer can survive...

One thing...you mentioned the blood had bubbles..this alone doesn't mean a lung hit. All blood has bubbles even leg ( muscle) hit blood can have bubbles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.