New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crazy Day. I had a 6 ptr in front of me for 10 minutes but no dice cause I had no doe. My Brother in law had an 8 pointer right by him but also had to pass.

Lastly my buddy shot a doe and she ran and bedded 40 yards from his tree. He watched her for nearly 2 hours and she was lying down with her face down. He climbed down to check his arrow and stayed put because he noticed she lifted her head but did not move. He sat down away from her to observe and possibly take another shot but was still just waiting. Little while later another hunter walks right on top the doe, she gets up and runs down the mountain. We knew homes were near by at the very bottom so we searched some more just so we could see her last location.

I know we also could have pulled out but with minimal blood loss and rain we were worried. Needless to say we found her but again she took off and went to the edge of the woods across the road and into the next set of woods adjacent to a home.

We left for the day and around 5pm and words of encouragemnet to my buddy that he owes it to the deer to at least go back one more time and check that section of the woods, he went back. If he couldn't find her at least he tried all that he could.

He went spoke to the home owners and they said sure go right ahead and to be careful as there are 4 bears in there and have been killing rabbits and breaking into homes. They actually asked if he could shoot the bear, lol.
Sure enough 60 yards in there she lay when he got to 10 yards of her, her head popped up real slowly. He went back to the truck got his bow and hit her in the lungs and she expired.
What a remarkable feeling and never give up attitude. It was his first deer and one he wont forget about. He sure earned it today.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
NICE JOB,
being determined and caring about the animal shows he is a REAL hunter

Congrats on his first of what is sure to many more

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Where was she hit originally? Thats a long time for her not to expire. Glad you were able to recover her! [up]

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where was she hit originally?  Thats a long time for her not to expire.   Glad you were able to recover her! 

Although it sounds like it was a gut shot it wasnt. It was a steep 20 yard shot and low just nicking the lung . The arrow exited the bottom side of her. When we saw her early it looked like a big red softball coming out of her. Its like her lung was coming out.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where was she hit originally?  Thats a long time for her not to expire.   Glad you were able to recover her! 

Although it sounds like it was a gut shot it wasnt. It was a steep 20 yard shot and low just nicking the lung . The arrow exited the bottom side of her. When we saw her early it looked like a big red softball coming out of her. Its like her lung was coming out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts