New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you take a nice buck do you tend to show it off or try to keep it quiet?

I scored a buck for a guy that he took during ML. It outscores the buck that is currently entered as the largest buck taken with a ML that year by over 10”. Only a handful of people have ever seen that deer. He is very quiet about his hunting spots and never shows off his deer.

I set another guy up in a spot that I had found that looked very promising. It was a tucked away honey-hole that no one hunted. He took a great buck there and then proceeded to tell anybody and everybody about it. Pictures and stories of the deer began circulating immediately. His stand was stolen the following week and soon after that someone “claimed” the spot by building a big permanent stand there.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
nothing wrong with showing off ur buck. but drawing attention to where u killed a buck especially if a friend showed u the spot is disrespectful to your friend and stupid.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but drawing attention to where u killed a buck is stupid.
You’re right, but often times all it takes is one friend who knows where you hunt for the information to get out.

Remember, the only way 2 people can keep a secret is if one of them is dead. [hihi]

·
Registered
371 Posts
Most people who keep em quite shouldn't be hunting where they were. If it's legit then you got nothing to hide. But then you got the idiots that brag bout illegally taken deer,like the that buck taken in mahwah. those guys are the ones that give hunters a bad name.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Loose lips do sink ships. I don't see any problems with showing off a deer or two. The trouble with some people is that they kill a big buck and become delusional. They think everyone is out to take their spot and are being followed and other nonsense. The truth be known most people can give a rat's butt. It is sad for the few who try taking advantage to cut prople off.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Bottom line is if your so called spot is not locked up by you.Assuming it is private and you have the permission to be there.Then you cant complain if someone finds out.I would keep it quiet.If its a lock by you then no harm if no one else can get in there

·
Registered
21,477 Posts
Sometimes I do, Sometimes I don't :D

One of the parts I enjoy about hunting is sharing in the successes with friend and family. Whether mine or theirs.

Anyone that knows me, knows I take bow hunting serious and tend to hunt hard, so it pays off now and again for me, if the cat gets out of the bag I let roll.
I don't let what others think or the shit they talk effect what I enjoy doing.

Like NJgunner says; Hater's gonna Hate :p

The one thing I do wonder about is;

Why some guys try and sneak in on spots were they know a big buck was taken [spy]
Wouldn't a little commonsense tell you,,, You're To Late [hihi]

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I can show you guys a picture of a buck on my farm in zone 2.. im pretty positive none of you saw another buck bigger in jersey.. an I dont tell anybody.
if you guys have a cell phone, PM me an ill send you a couple pictures.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
LOL! A buddy once told me when you shoot a big buck and want to show it off, just tell everyone where you really were when you shot the deer. He suggested that no one will believe you anyway so that is what he does. He might have a point in telling the truth huh?:D

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
"If it's legit then you got nothing to hide." Sure you do, if you dont want your spot burned. Its never happend to me ButI also never shot a big buck. I have heard more then a few storys about guys who have shot nice deer and word got out and they have had nothing but problems on there private land or lost there spot on public because it wasent worth hunting anymore because of all the pressure. One guy in particular I know of has a local Buisness so alot of people know him and where his shop is, his shop has alot of woods around it and he owns a few acers there to hunt on. He shot a nice buck and it was posted on The tips Harware site now the Poor guy has had nothing but Problems with people either hunting on his land or right on the border. If his pic was never posted he would have never had a problem and Im sure plenty more people have had this happen to them. "Loose Lips Sink Ships" Same go's for fishing spots I caught a nice striper back in October Mid day off the beach way to many people seen me pull that fish in and before that I could fish that spot any time durring the fall run after that it was BURNNED they were lined up down the whole dam beach the next time I went there.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I never figured out why people think they have a better chance to kill a big buck in a spot that someone else just killed a big buck in. I want the dominant buck of the area and hunt accordingly. But I s it's no different than those who will poach tresspass or sit someone elses stands cause they think it gives them a better chance. or they just plain suck at huntin and don't know what else to do.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Keep them a secret.

Trail cam photos are no longer shared.

If myself or one of my friends shoot a true NJ giant, photos do not get shared with anyone outside of our hunting circle. With that said, average bucks, we share. The reason is, it's very easy(and likely) that someone has seen and will recognize a truly unique or giant buck; if you're to post photos of that buck, it's as good as telling everyone where you hunt.

On the flip side, an average 8 point, that deer could have come from anywhere; I'll share those photos, for sure.

It is a shame that we have to do this, though.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Most people who keep em quite shouldn't be hunting where they were. If it's legit then you got nothing to hide
That's not always true. Good spots are hard to come by in my area so most people I know who kill a mature buck, either don't say much about it, or if they do, they don't tell the truth about where it was killed.

My experiences have been that when I have "shown off" a big buck, and people know where I hunt, they would try to get permission to hunt the same woods, and in some cases (twice) I had someone come in and pay good money to lease the place out from under me.

If it was on public land, my friends all the sudden decided to check out that WMA the next season to "see if it was any good". That really doesn't bother me too much because lots of other people already hunt those places, but once they zero in on your tree, time to move on.

Now, when I kill one in NJ, just a cell phone message goes out to certain people. Ohio is a different story. I like sharing the hunts from there with others, try to have fun writing them up too.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.