New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I make my own arrows ( aluminums ) but I'm having some cedars made for me this year. Next Year I will try and make my own. How many people make there own or do you pay someone else to make them for you? I know hunter225 makes his own cedars because I have talked to him when he was making them.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
When you say, "make" do you mean, put a log in a lathe and wittle me some arrows?

I order cut shafts, and then I install inserts, crest and fletch them, and tune the nocks with an aligner. I use carbons though.

I was thinking of ordering some cedar blanks from a wood-working catalog, (basically just long dowels) and prepping and finishing them for my recurve. Someday I will get around to trying that.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
By the way Mystic, I dont know if you would be interested, but some of the "wood-look" carbons and aluminums are much more durable and consistant than actual wood shafts, and they still look really nice just like real wood.

Just a suggestion, though....Wooden shafts have a place in my heart as well.[up]

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I mean getting dowels ( wooden ) adding inserts, flethings, nocks.

but some of the "wood-look" carbons and aluminums are much more durable and consistant than actual wood shafts, and they still look really nice just like real wood
True, but they are not the same as wood, I have shoot them but woodies fly way better. It is easier to spin wooden arrows then Carbon or Aluminum to a non-center-shot Traditional Bow. Compounds are so easy any one can shoot them, there for they are easier to find arrows to fly like darts out of them, because they are center shot bows.

Give a person a compound and they can hit bullseyes @ 40 yards in a week...

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Give a person a compound and they can hit bullseyes @ 40 yards in a week...
I cant completely agree with that, but I will admit its easier than recurves and longbows. [cool]

By the way MG, no inserts on wooden arrows. You will have to buy one of those giant pencil sharpeners that make the end tapers.[up]

What broadheads do you use with your cedars? Magnus, Zwickey?

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By the way MG, no inserts on wooden arrows. You will have to buy one of those giant pencil sharpeners that make the end tapers
I know that... Sorry that part was a typo..meant Wooden dowels cut, taper, fleth, nock... Alum & carbons inserts/outserts, fleth, nock... A better way to say it would have been .... To put together arrows. Sorry for the typo's and any misunderstanding

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
No need to be sorry man...I knew you knew, but did you know that I knew you know? You probably didnt know I knew.:D

Now you KNOW...I was just busting your chops bud.;):D

Ugh, even I get sick of my corny humor sometimes...:eek::D

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well Matty if you knew I knew, but didn't know I knew..then you know that I knew therefor I know you know that I know what you know that I knew That you knew what I was saying...

[confused] What was the Question???? [confused]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts