New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how many guys hunt based on previous seasons history versus this years hot sign. After bowhunting for 20 years I have noticed that often big bucks seem to end up on the same ridges, funnels, and acorn flats season after season year after year. I also have noticed that early season patterns also can be quite predictable but are entirely different than pre-rut and rut and post-rut activity. I have some spots I have been hunting for ten years or more and I know that in October I'm just about guaranteed to have a sighting of Mr. Big. What it comes down to is it worth it to hunt history or would you rather hunt fresh sign.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Yes. I have some property that I don't need to scout because I know where the deer will be. Ill go in soon and set a stand and can pretty much guarantee Ill have a deer in shooting range the first week of archery.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
The deer stay pretty much regular unless the state clear cuts a spot, or like last year a poor acorn crop, or maybe the farmer plants or doesn't plant .

As far as a journal. I find it pretty easy to just write on my hunting calender and then save the months that pertain to my outings. [patcheye]

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Food may shift from year to year but unless topography drasticly changes animal patterns as they relate to sun wind travel routes will not.
Most bucks will travel a ridge in the am scenting the up drafts coming to them.
Find a spot that funnels them during the rut when they are trolling (Traveling cross wind looking more for girls than OUT for danger)and you now have one of those "Magic" spots that seldom has a lot of sign except for one week or so in late Oct. or early Nov. and again sometimes right around Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
Like you said Jakesbeard, the bucks are always there, the trick is I need a doe first, and on those years that the patterns change the does are not where they supposed to be.[confused] [patcheye] And forget about once the state starts stocking pheasants.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Not all WMA's are stocked go there or find a deer control hunt or private property.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Past seasons is the best thing to base your spot on. Not even with deer, but with rabbits too. It seems that they all run the same circles, i've killed a number of rabbits out of the same piece of woods by standing in the same spot. My grandfather who in his later years couldn't get in the woods like he used to would tell me to go to a certain spot and wait and that I would see something,whether we were out for deer or rabbits. 9 out of 10 times he was right. It blew my mind that a man who hasn't walked in those woods in a number of years could still tell you in detail how to get to that spot and that the game was still moving through there. Right there was proof enough for me to use the same spots/trails.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
ive been hunting the same spots for years ,so ye i would say ,based on past history[up]

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
yes, it puts meat on the table every year.
i may move a stand 50 yards or so if the trails change a little. but the basic pattern is there. every year.

·
Banned
4,539 Posts
Through 35 seasons of deer hunting I'v been lured by the hot sign to move my stands, those years I went without venison. I have 3 or 4 spots that produce, sign or no sign. I learned to stick with them.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I've kept a journal for the last 20 hunting seasons and over that time the biggest factor I've seen is weather patterns. There are a few weather patterns over the year that if I see them coming up I'm in the woods. They have cost me jobs and a few girlfriends but I also have connected with my biggest bucks. The only problem is they only happen maybe once or twice a year.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I have to cut some brush each year, and now a blowdown has changed a trail so I have to clear that up. But time and again, deer always pass by my stand. I scouted it out, saw that it worked, and now it's my go to stand, 12 years running.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
My set areas I tend to hunt based on past history. I know the main trails, pinch points and funnels. I know some of the food areas and I know the time of day/year the deer move. I also know where to position myself in other hunting properties to play off of hunting pressure from adjacent lands.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.