New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a few brands of lights out, battery powered, that are supposed to make it easier to pick out blood at night. Has anyone tried them? Do they work? Any particular brand? Are they worth the money?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
i got the Primos bloodhunter for Christmas last year, shot two deer that fell in sight and never tried it out. Gotta remember to see how it works .

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
I have the Gerber light and think it was a waste of money.
Got one also, The only way it ever helped me was I once got turned around and couldn't find my tree, I knew I was close but vis was low. Went into my pack and got it out and it lit the whole woods up. I was 25 yds past my tree. If the blood is still wet it will make the blood or anything else glitter. No good with dew or rain.:D

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
coleman PROPANE lantern.
they last forever, bottles are around $2 and last hours and hours, batteries cost more.
and you have a hand warmer.
the guys who have tracked with me at night all have bought a propane coleman within a week.

trust me.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
coleman PROPANE lantern.
[up]

Flashlight with WHITE LED's keep it in your pack and you just might not have to go back for the lantern.

Save your $ don't buy gimicks.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
i loaned my gerber carnivore to my neighbor he said that alone it was no good until he turned on his little head lamp after that hae said the blood really stood out i have never tried it as anything more then a flashlight i don't think the primos light does both like the gerber does i have seen a blood light by winchester at walmart too looks like it works on the same principal as the gerber and primos light

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
i got the Primos bloodhunter for Christmas last year, shot two deer that fell in sight and never tried it out. Gotta remember to see how it works .
I have the same light that I got for Christmas 2 years ago. I havent needed it either. It seems to me all it does is make the red blood more visable in the dark. That may or may not help.

There are chemicals that you can spray around a blood trail. One makes the droplets of blood fizz up making it more visable. I don't know what it is called. The other is Luminol or something like that. It reacts with the blood to make it reflect UV light in the dark. Police use it at crime scenes, at least on TV maybe not so much in the real world.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have the gerber carnivore. Its a good light but the blood tracker makes anything red on the ground stick out, making it more difficult to find blood IMO. It may work better when there aren't a bunch of leaves on the ground, but when does that happen when you're in the woods. I agree with the Coleman lantern post. I also have a streamlight buckmasters and the super white LED's are good for tracking blood.

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Another vote for Coleman [up]

If I have a tuff tracking job..I go home and get the Coleman lantern...Windex bottle with hydrogen peroxide and a partial roll of toliet paper.

Usually does the trick

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
I bought the Gerber one. Tried it once, it did not help and returned it. BS.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts