New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all.most of the breeds I've been looking at have been pointers(gsp,English pointer,wiem,Spinone Italiano) the thing is I've only worked over a pointer one or two times, so I figured I might as well ask before I buy and pointer who turns into a flusher.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Yes thy do, some run but some hold for the point. Key is to pass on shooting stocked birds not pointed by the dog.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The dog remaining steady greatly relies upon you as the handler and the work you are willing to put into your dog plain and simple. If you are just expecting to take an untrained dog out and expect him to hold point it will never happen. Before buying a pup first decide on your level of commitment to the animal and willingness to train it and have it make mistakes. It takes years of training to produce a fully trained finished gun dog that will be steady to wing and shot.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
The dog remaining steady greatly relies upon you as the handler and the work you are willing to put into your dog plain and simple. If you are just expecting to take an untrained dog out and expect him to hold point it will never happen. Before buying a pup first decide on your level of commitment to the animal and willingness to train it and have it make mistakes. It takes years of training to produce a fully trained finished gun dog that will be steady to wing and shot
[up][up][up]

or just spend the money for a fully trained dog.

Over the years I have owned English Setters, German Shorthairs and now English Pointers and all held point on stocked birds. However not all stocked birds would stay put. Some flushed and some would run.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Pointing dogs and pheasants require a lot of time on the whoa board. If your dog doesn't get whoa trained then you will have a pointing dog that points, breaks and flushes!

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
the birds this year in my spots are running. a few hold but most are hens. wild pheasants run hard till they cant keep going with out breaking cover or hit a block. I love pointers hunt over many can't beat a gps in my mind, but I would rather and do hunt flush type dogs on phez, that is just me. there is no right or wrong it is what you like.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do know that I have to train the dog, my concern was if the birds will actually hold when pointed by a trained dog.

·
Registered
163 Posts
DEFINITELY. I own 2 pointers from Indian Creek kennels and I can't say enough about how awesome those dogs are. They will hunt until they drop, hold point forever and even retrieve. The best part, yesterday with a house full for Thanksgiving, all of my non-hunting relatives couldn't get enough of the dogs. They are absolutely perfect indoor family dogs as well as hunting machines. I highly recommend giving Garry Malzone a call if you are interested in a Pointer. One demo on a freshlyl released pheasant or chukar and you'll be convinced. Call him at 201-370-6960. Good luck!

·
Registered
116 Posts
This year there have been some that hold and a few runners.I have gsps,the best one {mother of the others} locks up tight if the bird holds but will creep or follow if they run.I have heard guys say this is not good but it works for me.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Do the stocked pheasent actual hold for you pointing dogs?
"Sometimes" is the most concise answer I would provide. Hens have a tendency to sit tighter than cock birds.

But, pheasants run, quail can run, grouse will move, and I've seen woodcock get up and walk away when a dog is on point. But none qualify or equal a pheasant when it comes to covering ground and a lot of it. They can be tough on an unseasoned bird dog.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts