New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I'll be shooing a crossbow this fall...do I need to buy a rangefinder? When I hunted with a compund, I used a pendulum sight...so I didn't have to range my targets....

if you use one...which one and why?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I would say YES. you are going to need to know your range wether you are on the ground or in a treestand....unless you are good with distances...you would need one especially if you are in a tree stand because you have to compensate for the angle. Which your previous site did for you. I have the bushnell arc1500 It tells you the range in actual distance and also tell you what distance to shoot at.....Example..your target may be 32 yards line of sight, but due to the angle you would have to shoot like 23 yards.

·
Registered
441 Posts
i bought that chuck adams bushnell model. i can still use it rifle hunting out west too so it was a no brainer to buy.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I have tried Bushnell,Nikon and Leupold.All of them work great from a deer stand but only the Nikon works really well from the ground.The Leupold barely works threw the blind and the Bushnell works about half the time.But the Nikon works every time.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Do I need a rangefinder?
Interesting....Do we actually NEED a lot of the things we bring hunting. I guess as much as we are willing to spend and willing to carry out in the woods hoping for a more successful hunt....Guess that's why my back hurts when i'm done...:D

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
Yes..........

The drop on a Crossbow is equal to, or slightly more than a HIGH END Compound.
So range estimation is important.

In lieu of a Range finder, If it a stand that you use frenquently, pace off a few locations (trees, bushes) and note their distance for future shots.

·
Registered
12,825 Posts
nope ....point, look through the scope ,crosshairs on the vitals hold steady, squeeze the trigger KABOOM!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.