New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do all the mature does go into estrous within a few days of eachother or can it vary? Reason I'm asking is, I seen a nice buck chase a doe Monday morning, sat the same spot Tuesday morning and had a doe and yearling hang around for 20 mins with no buck in sight. I haven't seen a deer the last 2 times out in a different spot but have fresh scrapes and tons of rubs around me.

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
they do.....
the problem is a buck will only breed on average 3 doe... So if the herd is out of whack then you end up having a second rut in dec and maybe even some breeding into January.
The better the buck/doe ratio the more intense the rutting behavior will be...
The more imbalanced the herd is the less intense it will be...

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
Also just because a buck is chasing doesn't mean a doe is ready to be bred. The amount of daylight hitting the back of their eye dictates when a doe will cycle. That's why all mature doe cycle right around the same time. The younger ones catch up in following years.
A buck will normally separate a doe from her fawn to try to breed her. Usually the buck will nudge her on the butt and if she's ready she will squat a little. If not she's running.
Right now is when you can see a buck one day only to find him a mile away the next. They are searching out those ready does.
Best bet is to hunt where you see plenty of doe...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts